Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on another prototype sketch box. This will be number 4. When I go to get my legs checked every 2 weeks, I am left alone after my legs are unwrapped, about half an hour or so, waiting for the doctor to get to me. One very busy day it was around 2 hours. While I am waiting there is nothing to do except feel my butt going numb. So, I came up with the idea for a sketch box, to hold a spiral pad, pens, pencils, ruler, tape measure, drink, and whatever else I think of. This lets me work on designs while waiting. I make them out of cardboard, because I don't know just exactly the right size is for this, which save me from wasting wood, and uses cardboard, which I would just toss otherwise.

The first 1 was way too large, so my grand-daughter took it. I glue in pieces of cardboard to hold the notebook, pencils, ruler, etc., so I can just reach in and grab whatever, and not have to dig around to find it. The next was too small to hold everything. The third was good, but a tad smaller than I cared for, as I also made a folding "card table", to play solitaire on if I bored of sketching. So, started on # 4 earlier. Found a box that should be just right. Then if it is I will make a permanent version out of 1/4" plywood, along with a plywood card table.

Right now I have glued the two flaps on the inside floor, and when they dry will glue a couple of pieces between them, to make a level surface, then glue a large piece down over them. Haven't decided yet, but may glue pieces on the inside walls also to strengthen them a bit. In the others used to just bend each end of a piece of cardboard to make the holders, this time am going to glue 2 narrow strips together, then glue those to a wall, and glue the large piece of cardboard to them. This will make much neater holders, and more accurate. Plus get rid of a bit more cardboard. It will also give me more accurate measurements if I go ahead and make a permanent 1 out of plywood.

These have worked out so well for me I am going to try to make all of my prototypes out of cardboard from now on. Besides using cardboard I otherwise would have just tossed, I can work in the house, and no sawdust.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Great idea, Theo...but I'm not sure that will help with any 2-hour butt-numbing waits...:grin:

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
My wife broke her wrist and we waited for a couple of hours at the local hospital and finally left, drove 50 miles to our plan's great hospital, all the while she was in pain.

I like the idea of a sketch pad box, and I think my artist wife would like to see a picture or two, so she can put it on my honey-do list.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After about an hour figuring out how to get pictures from my camera to this steenkin' laptop, we have pictures. There will be more as I move along with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one is gluing two pieces in the center, to make the bottom level with the two side flaps. Made it a lot more level than I had expected. I'll be putting a whole piece on the bottom, to make it look better (but I will likely be the only one that see it), and to ad a bit more strength. Moving a bit slower than need be, but part of this is from allowing the glue to set, and partly because when I complete one step, I'm not really sure how I will do the next step - In other words, I don't know what I am doing, until I do it. Plans, plans, we don' need no steenkin' plans.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea, Theo...but I'm not sure that will help with any 2-hour butt-numbing waits...:grin:
It will at least take my mind off of it. I finally turned, hung my legs off the side of the bed, and that helped. They came in about half an hour later.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife broke her wrist and we waited for a couple of hours at the local hospital and finally left, drove 50 miles to our plan's great hospital, all the while she was in pain.

I like the idea of a sketch pad box, and I think my artist wife would like to see a picture or two, so she can put it on my honey-do list.
Yeah, I know the feeling - but from other things, not my butt. I read that and decided to do a search, using sketch boxes, didn't think they would have much. Hah! Do an image search, but better not let your wife know. They have all sorts of pictures, some simple, some not even close to simple. A lot of them are like a artist easel on one side - mine won't have that, I do my rough designs in spiral notebooks, and if I need a solid surface to work on, I like to have a clipboard.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is a photo of my solitaire board, folded. On top is a clip thingie that slides onto the center of the board, when it is open. And it all works, I've tried it, but it is a bit small, so the next one will be a bit wider, and longer. Going to try to make the clip a bit more ornate, if possible. Next is the board unfolded, with the clip holding it open.

Then there is a top view of my last box, showing how it is sectioned off. I like to be able to just lift the lid, and reach down in it. Crude, but as much proof of concept, or more, as it is a prototype.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The build is going smoothly. Time consuming because of waiting for the glue to dry, and not working on it constantly, because when I finish a part I need to think what I want to do next, and how to do it. That's fine, I want to do it neatly, not rough like the previous ones - that's because when I finish making it, if it comes out as well as I think (hope) it will, then I will put a nice finish and shoulder strap on it, with the possibility then of just keeping it and not making a wood version.

I decided on calling it Sketch Box, without ever looking at any. Well, earlier I did, and what other people call sketch boxes, I would call a paint box. They all seem to have a built in easel, open like a brief case, and space for paints and brushes. Nothing like what I am doing at all. See pictures.

Then there is a picture of the first part of the lid, with a piece glued on to the box flap, to extend it to the front of the box. This is the bottom part of the lid, have one more piece to glue on I believe, to make that 3 layers. The next picture is the top half of the lid, with spacers waiting to be glued in place. These will go 1 on each side of the top part because it is a bit wider than the box. These should make the lipd narrow enough to keep the box sides from bowing in, a problem with my earlier boxes. The top part of the lid is also 3 layers thick, making a total of 6 layers, this is to make sure the weight will shut the completely, and to add strength because I am sure that sooner or later something will be sat on the top and I do not want it to bow down,

.Before I finish the top I will do the sides, not sure if 2 or 3 layers, want strong enough they should never bow. Easier to work on the inside without the top totally complete. After the sides, will start on the layout for the items I will be carrying.

Attachments

Reactions: jw2170 and Nickp

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those clothespins are Honey Do type, and are really great as small clamps - a lot better than the actual clamps. Cheaper too. Normally I would use old playing cards for glue spresders, but found out that jus cutting cardboard into small pieces make much handier glue spreaders, are cost free (I would toss the pieces of cardboard I didn't use anyway), and work great. I keep a batch in a zip lock bag. Got a 2d piece in 1 end, will have to get the other 3 in place, then decide if I stick to just 2, or go for 3. Been working on my folding solitaire board at the same time, and pretty sure will need 3 layers, at the least. Once the sides are in, and satisfy me as to thickness, will start on the inside layout, beginning with a pocket for the solitaire board.

Reactions: jw2170 and Nickp

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice progress, Theo...I'm really liking the whole idea of using cardboard for prototyping...

Good tip to use it for spreading glue...keeps it out of the fingernails and jeans...:smile:

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice progress, Theo...I'm really liking the whole idea of using cardboard for prototyping...

Good tip to use it for spreading glue...keeps it out of the fingernails and jeans...:smile:
I've been taking a lot more care with this one, so it looks better than the previous ones. If you use cardboard I would advise a straight edge and xacto knife. But I couldn't find mine when I started, so just used scissors, and cut along a marked line. Found the knife, but just continued with the scissors.

I have glue and/or latex paint on most of my pants, and a good number of shirts. Including the almost new pants I have on right now. Right now have the inside front and back to go on the box, and making good progress on my solitaire board.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At a pause point just now. Got the insides of the box glued in, all are 2 layers, think that will do, but will look again later, and see if I think it needs another layer, or not. Got one side of the solitary board/table glued, which giers ove 3 layers on each side. As soon as the glue sets will check to see if that will do or if I want to go to 4 layers. Once I'm satisfied with that I'll start on the interior layout, won't be able to start until solitary board is finished - not sure just now how that will be finished, but thinking cloth or something glued on one side, and painting the other.

For those who may think using card board for anything is not worth the effort, try a search using something like cardboard crafts for your search phrase. Here are a few of the pictures I found.

Attachments

Reactions: marecat3

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good news, bad news. For me that is. Finished the inner lining of the box, 2 layers, should be fine. Finished the solitaire board, 4 layers on each side, came out great. Got more to glue, and discovered am almost out of Titebond II, but had a little, thinned to 50/50, in another bottle, mixed the two, so now have less than half a bottle of glue. Would go to town and buy some, used to get them for about $5 for a 16oz bottle, but last time I went I got 2, for a largish project. Got to the counter and found out the price was $28+. Was desperate, so paid. Later found I could get a gallon for $20 +$5 shipping. on-line, so now have a bottle on the way, which is enough glue to fill 8 bottles, at a cost of a hair over $3 per bottle, great bargain. But it won't get here until about the 30th. Bah. But have 2 small bottles of Elmer's Glue, 1 white, 1 clear, which should be enough to keep me going until the 30th. They were together, but now can't find the clear. About this time I realized I could make cardboard cases for the 2 HF digital calipers I have, and could use my Xacto knife to make really neat cases. And now can't find my Xacto knife, even tho it was in an open box awhile ago, and not moved by me. I am now ready to layout and cut the inner sections of the box, but will be needing the Xacto knife to make precise cuts on the spacers. Which I can't do, because I can't find the damn Xacto knife. I could use scissors to cut the spacers, but I want them to be precise, so right now it is Xacto knife or nothing. So, for now, it's nothing.
:crying::crying::crying:

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hah, found the Xacto knife. Well, the box is now lined on all 4 lnsides, and looks like 2 layers on each will do fine.

Since I found Xacto knife again started on the HF caliper case. Had planned on laying out the lines, then using a straightedge to guide the knife, but that turned out to be a troublesome PITA way to do it. Found out is plenty accurate enough to just follow the lines with the knife, coming along nicely, but more elaborate then I had thought. The center will be cut out for the entire caliper. Had figured cutting out a smaller part fTor the top would do it.oul Of course not. That will do for part of it, but then there is the portion that is thicker, so need a different size hole. Then there is one side of the bottom end, a part there sticks out, so another hole. The work is not difficult, but figuring out just what needs to be cut is a bit frustrating. I have 2 calipers, so at least the other case should go faster. To keep them simple they will be held shut with just rubber bands.

The solitaire board is finished. Almost. I am planning on covering the top sections with cloth, denim if I have two pieces large enough. I keep pieces of cloth for various projects, my 2 drink carriers are covered with cloth, glued on. If not denim, may have some black cloth. Would really prefer green, to resemble felt, but pretty sure I do not have any at all. Hmm, wonder tho, possible I suppose that I have a set of fatigues stuck away somewhere, not the green I would like, but would do. Will cut narrow strips of different color cloth to glue along the sides to cover up the cardboard. The bottom, the part that is inside when folded, will be painted, because I think it quite possible that it might not close near as well as it does just now if I used cloth. Think I'll wait until I paint the box, because I will be needing gesso as primer, and don't want to make two batches of it. Almost forgot, the solitaire board is now first priority, because I need the cloth glued on so I can get measurements of the folded board, so I can figure out the measurements of the pocket inside the box that it will be carried in. Then can proceed with the rest of the pockets for holding various items.

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ha, glue came in early, so have glue again. But still looking for sufficient cloth for the solitaire board, so working on the caliper case in the meantime. This is not as simple as I first thought, but going along smoothly so far, albeit a bit slower than anticipated. Here is the first picture. Getting so much cardboard in that instead of just laying it around, took one of the largest boxes and it is now my cardboard storage. Makes it much handier when I hunt down a piece close to the size I need.

When I started the sketch box didn't really anticipate making anything else, at least foreseeable. But had been wanting cases for my 2 calipers, and that suddenly seemed the only way I could get any would be by buying pricey calipers, that already had a box. Not lately, the HF ones are plenty accurate for what I need, they work, and are paid for. So caliper boxes it is. But that one step made me realize that there are quite a number of things around here I could make boxes for out of cardboard. The boxes don't need to be fancy, they are for me, just protect the contents, and the cost is only cardboard I would have tossed otherwise, my time, and some glue. Hard to beat a deal like that. I know too that there are templates/patterns on-line that you can layout on cardboard, cut them out, fold the box, and you have a container to hold whatever. No way that cardboard will replace wood, but it can sure be handy, and cheaper, on some projects, in particular the ones you don't expect to last forever,

Attachments

Reactions: jw2170
1 - 20 of 69 Posts