Interesting project, Theo...

like how your mind thinks...

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting project, Theo...

like how your mind thinks...
Hehehe Later I'll post some of my cane handle designs, then see what you think. >:)

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
OK, caliper case about finished, just need to glue the last pieces together, then I will glue cloth around it, to act as a hinge, and will keep it closed with a rubber band. A bit crude actually, but nice proof of concept. If I can find the other caliper I will make some changes in how it is made, and it will look a lot better. Then if I decided to make any out of wood in the future, will know how to make a very precise master, and pump out as many as I want.

Damn. Can't load pictures. Tried several times, same way as I always to, and it tells me there is a missing security token. Never even heard of a security token before. I'll let it rest for awhile, then try again.

Did find enough denim cloth to cover the top of the solitaire board. Also fine a section of green felt, not sure, may run that somewhere on the solitaire board also. Now just need to figure out how I am going to cut the cloth, then glue it on.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
OK, I'll try today. With just one photo.
Well, that worked, wonder if it will work with the rest. If it does, you will have to wait for descriptions, got to leave

Stay tuned. Bye bye.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, got them figured out. Pics in other post.
1. Caliper laying in cutout.
2. Same cutout, empty, showing cardboard to support shaft.
3. Flipped, showing caliper in from back.
4. First layer of the top, not glued down.
5. Second top layer, glued to first.
6. Last layer glued down.

Pictures below.
Gluing top together.
Cloth glued on bottom of bottom layer. This will be folded over the top also, which will form a hinge. A hinge after I figure out how to glue it to the edges of the cardboard, without the top and bottom getting glued together.

A bit crude, but hold the caliper nice and snug, so should be no damage if it gets dropped. When I find the other caliper its case should be much neater.

Now need to figure out how to cut the cloth covering for the solitaire bord, trim the edges that is. Found sufficient denim cloth for that. And once that is all done, and at the final thickness, can start putting together the inside of the box. Been sketching some thoughts on that, but they are subject to change.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I got r done. It's not the prettiest thing I've ever made, but wasn't shooting for that. Great proof of concept, learning exercise, cheap, simple to make, does what I made it for, , Plus it is just for me, and as long as it works as it should, I am content. The top picture is the inside, the cloth is on for the cover, and hinge. Both the top and bottom are four layers each. The left part of the outlined top section is cut three layers deep. The right section is two layers deep. The bottom picture is the outside - the two rubber bands are just to keep it from shifting while the glue on the hinge portion sets, I now use just one to hold it closed. Caliper is written on it, so I will know what is in it, may make some similar ones for several other items, besides my other caliper when I find it.

Glue 3 or 4 pieces of cardboard together and you get a pretty solid piece. I'm going to experiment some more with cardboard. Besides, I keep getting cardboard, and hate to just toss it, so this will provide building material without using any of my wood. I'm not cheap, just kinda broke.

Almost forgot. Got some blue jean material glued to both the top sides of the solitaire board. Now just have to trim the overlap, decide just how much space I want to allow for it inside the sketch box, then to start laying out, and gluing, the inside sections.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got the solitaire board mostly finished now, at least to get the measurements and to start laying out its place in the sketch box. The two ncolors are apparently because one side is the inside of a pair of blue jeans, and the other seems to have come from a denim jacket (now my new vest) sleeve - not sure if it is the inside, or outside, of the sleeve. Had planned on using an Xacto knife to cut off the excess, but that didn't go well, so wound up cutting it all off with scissors, which worked well. Think my spiral notebook sketch pad will go in front of that, but after that will have to decide where all the rest will go. One picture open, one closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Solitaire board about finished, will likely not leave the bottom unfinished, but can do that anytime. Need to make clip for it, but again, can do later. So, have now moved on to doing the inside of the box. Been working of spacers and such, will put some in when the glue sets, that is for the solitaire board,and sketch pad. Then it's on to the next pocket, and figure out what, where, and how. I used that method on the previous boxes, but want this one neater. Pictures later.

Will cover the top with leftover wraps. The rest of the outside will primed with gesso, which I will mix and apply after the top is on. Still not decided on what color it will be painted, but a solid color, and then deciding if I want to put some decorative paint - been learning a couple of new (to me) processes that should make some standout designs. I have about 4 maybe 5 processes I have been studying, but need some practice before I do it on the box Still need to decide on a carry strap too, but since I won't put it on until the rest is finished, no rush,
except for deciding what and how.

Told my kids today that I was thinking of getting a motorcycle for running to town, but because I though that if it tipped over for any reason, I wanted a side car on it for stability, to carry groceries, and because motorcycles with sidecars are rare. Then included the link to a video of off-road sidecar racing. Those guys were making jumps that looked at least 20 feet high. And, no, I do not want a motorcycle with a sidecar. I want a Cushman Eagle with a sidecar.

Attachments

Reactions: JFPNCM and jw2170

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Still proceeding, albeit a bit slower than I had expected. Made two spacers, to glue to the sides of the box, then rest the partition I guess you could say on them, with glue, so it could be glued in place. The spacers, or glue sticks more, would not cut accurately with the Xa,cto knife, needed to be sharpened. So, cut with scissors. Only half an inch wide, and came out crooked. So, pulled out a paper cutter, cheap, likely made in China, so I could make straight cuts, quickly, and easily. Did indeed cut straight, quickly, and easily. For about 6-8 inches, then it sort of just squashed thru the cardboard. I could cut all the way by slamming the cutter down, sometimes. Wound up making cuts half the length I wanted (9 in), and butting two together on each side. Cuts were quick and easy at 4 1/2". Made a spacer to set them in place where I wanted them, glued them, put in place, and worked great. The first picture is the spacer on the right, after the pieces were put in place, seen on the left. The second picture shows the partition, with glue, resting on them, until the glue sets. The space for the sketch book will go in similarly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Finished the sketch pad compartment. See picture. Funny, the front part looks a lot narrower in the photo then it actually is. Now need to decide where the holders for the extras will go, pencils, drink, cards, etc., will go, and how they will be made. But in the meantime can still mix up some gesso, and prime it, along with finishing the top to make it ready to glue on.

Using cardboard, it does come out a tad rude and crude, but even so, it looks loads better than the others I made, now those were crude. As a proof of concept project I think this one really looks great. Still undecided if I will just keep this one, after it is painted and properly decorated, or copy it in wood - mostly plywood.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Since I got this far, been doing some pondering on where the heck am I going to put my ruler, and clipboard, and how. Another of those 5 seconds and problem solved things. I not only know where they will go, but how.

The ruler is too long to stand up, and would need some sort of bracket to hold it horizontally, which means thinking, more work, and time. Simple, I make a simple sleeve for the ruler, and glue it to the inside of the top - handy, and out of the way.

The clipboard is also too long to stand up, and will need some sort of pocket or something to hold it, which again means thinking, work, time spent, and room inside taken up. Simple, make a slide in pocked on the back of the box, and that's it. Handy, easily accessible, easier and faster than putting it inside, and no bother about taking up space inside. Easy peasy.

Now, what is left, in the construction phase, is to figure out where I want the various other things put - drink, cards, solitaire board clip, maybe tape measure, pencils/pens, and that is about it.

This project is being funded by the K.I.S.S. Corporation - a non-profit organization.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This will be my pencil holder. It is a mixture of a soda bottle, medicine bottle, and a fast food milk bottle. The large cap is the medicine bottle, with the bottom cut out, set on the milk bottle, then taped. Then the milk bottle is slid inside the soda bottle, and all taped. At the other end, the top of the soda is taped to the bottom of the soda bottle, this creates a small space for an eraser or two. And, because I am so pleased with how this all is going along, I will be carrying my professional ruler in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Found out the bottle pencil holder takes up way too much space. So will make a cloth tuuld be, and use that to hold 2-3 pencils and pens, should be more than, adequate. Erasor(s), not sure yet, a medicine bottle just dropped in may do. Will space the drink holder to be able to hold a Pepsi bottle. I do not plan on a Pepsi bottle, have slimmer bottles I normally use, but sizing to Pepsi size, just in case.

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
Constant adaptation.....

Keep working you way through it, Theo.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Constant adaptation.....

Keep working you way through it, Theo.
Have to adapt. Because not a clue what the next step even is, let alone know how I will do it. In fact, last night occurred to me to put the drink holder on one end, outside the box. More room IN the box, and drink more easily/faster accessible, but don't know if Pepsi size or not.

A really nice thing about this project, when I get finished it will be a breeze to make one out of wood, because all the problems will be already solved.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got a roll made, two layers of cardboard, around a drink bottle - not Pepsi size. But still not sure yet just how I will fasten it to the box, glue of course, but need a cradle or something to sit it in, so there will be sufficient glue contact to hold it against knocks, and all.

And am started on the clipboard pocket in the back of the box. The clipboard is thin enough I only need one layer of cardboard for the base layer. The base wound up being two pieces, instead of just one. The bottom piece is glued on, and the top piece also has been now, just not in the photo. At the bottom of the clipboard is a gap, which has now been filled in. I have a cover piece cut, but thinking maybe go with two layers instead of one. Waiting for the glue to set, so have some time to think about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well the ruler pocket is finished, but will have to wait until the top is glued together before I can put it in, because I don't know what angle I will have to have to pull the ruler out. Same with the pencil pouch - may wind up with that inside. The clipboard pocket is finished and glued on. Works like a charm. Have it at a slight angle, to it doesn't stick out, but with the added advantage it is not likely to slide out that way. First pic is of the clipboard partly in. Slides in or out very smoothly. Second pic is all the way in.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got my ruler pocket made last night. Ruler slides in and out smoothly. Was going to put it on the inside of the top, but realized I need to wait until the entire top is put together before I can see how to position it so it will allow the ruler to slide in and out. Not 100% sure that is possible. May wind up putting it on the outside, over the clipboard. I'm getting to like working with cardboard more and more. When finished this will actually be sturdy enough to keep using, but if I decide to make one out of wood, all I will have to do is measure this one, and make it, with a few minor changes. I would make it about 1/2" to 1" wider, redo the top a bit, but that is pretty much it likely. But have more cardboard, plenty of cardboard, so likely will just keep it, and go on to other proof of concept designs.

Almost forgot, need a man cave also.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Progress still being made.Slowly. Partly because of waiting overnight for the glue to set, partly because I still don't know what each step is, until I get on it, or how to do it, again until I get on it. The ruler case will go inside, don't want to chance the classic ruler stolen. If I can't get it to work out on the inside of the top, it will be glued onto the inside of the front of the box, tilted at a slight angle, to allow pulling the ruler out. Got the clip for holding the solitaire board open made, and it works greatd; gluing a bandage covering on it now. (Yes, bandage. When my legs are wrapped, the rolls of bandage have a bit left over, and normally the nurse would toss that, but I have not gotten them trained so they hand the leftovers to me. Used some on the top and it looks good, so trying it on a few more things.) Had to redo my drink holder, so put some bandage on that also, but only glued the start, and the end of the bandage, then applied glue on the outside of the bandage, and enough soaked thru should hold it all. The glue gave it an interesting finish, but later will paint it also, all of the outside in fact, so the texture will show thru the paint. Earlier, cut some cardboard to glue up holders for the solitaire board clip, and a deck of cards, will skip a tape measure, for now at least. Still pondering what I will do for a shoulder strip, have a number of options for that.

Once all that is done, I will prime the box with gesso - the inside will be left as is - to prime it for painting. Painting is going to take some time. I have been studying two methods of finish, plan to likely use both, and I am going to need practice with both before I will be confident enough to do the box. Fortunately I have lots of cardboard, and more on the way, to practice on, and plenty of gesso ingredients. Plus I still have a whole spectrum of acrylic latex paint also.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Am redoing the outside drink holder, again. The previous redo came out looking great, wrapped it with bandage, then covered it with glue. And was a bit too tight to put in, or pull out, the drink. Think I have it right this time. I hope. Will know for sure until it is done.

Recently found out I need to write a couple of letters; and by that I mean handwriting. No biggie, except no lined writing paper. Found out quickly that if you buy a large sized lined writing pad, it ain't cheap. So, I will make my own. Took my clipboard, taped the top, bottom, and sides, then spray painted it orange. When the paint was dry, stripped the tape off. Then drew lines 1/2" apart across over the painted section. Picture below. Now all I need to do is clip a page of printer paper on, then write. The lines will be straight because can easily see the lines on the paint.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts