Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was going to start a dado for a cabinet door frame and start it 2 "from the end of the stile is there a way to set a start block like a stop block??I would use a 1/4 " straight bit for the dado. My stiles are 23 and 28 inches long and routertable is only 24 inches over al lenght so it is only 12 inches from cutter to end of table. I was thinking of drilling pilot holes on either end and drop the bit in the hole and the mark on the fence where the end of the cut will end up so I dont run it to the end of the work. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could also mark the edges of your bit on the fence then mark the start and stop on the work piece.As you lower the work piece you will have to adjust the start line on the piece to the outside line for your bit.If you have never used this method you might want to pratice on a piece of scrap first. ;) Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did that once and drilled pilot holes where the dado starts and finishes. It worked really well too!! The only thing is to make sure that the pilot holes match the diametre of the router bit. I didn't match them up well enough and the finishing hole wasn't as clean as I would have liked but it wasn't going to be seen so what the hey!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the the tip. Like I told John H there is a good supply of scrap wood and then from there I burn it in my wood stove in the shop

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've done it using two holes and it didn't work out to well for me, I have had better luck drilling just a hole at the beginning point and marking a stop pleace

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I did today was I centered a mark on fence then drew line on work put fence in front of my work so it was locked into the router fence.I raised the work just enough to set it down where the dado was to start and marked the back of work .I ran it till the mark was centerd on the back of work and had perfect dados

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Jens Jensen said:
What I did today was I centered a mark on fence then drew line on work put fence in front of my work so it was locked into the router fence.I raised the work just enough to set it down where the dado was to start and marked the back of work .I ran it till the mark was centerd on the back of work and had perfect dados
This is how I too would have done it. One note, make sure you are using bits that are designed for plunge routing, small dia. straight bits (1/4") are not usually plunge bits.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts