Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Porter Cable router bought in a combo kit with interchangeable fixed and plunge bases. I removed the springs from the plunge base, but the motor still does not slide easily. When I try to raise it from underneath, the base plate pops out of the table because it sticks. Does anyone have an idea how to deal with this. I am hesitant to apply any lubricant for fear of it attracting dust.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
shrogers said:
I own a Porter Cable router bought in a combo kit with interchangeable fixed and plunge bases. I removed the springs from the plunge base, but the motor still does not slide easily. When I try to raise it from underneath, the base plate pops out of the table because it sticks. Does anyone have an idea how to deal with this. I am hesitant to apply any lubricant for fear of it attracting dust.

Shannon
Check out this thread:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=134

This might or might not have anything to do with your issue, I happen to use a paste wax and have never seen sawdust stick to it, more details on the thread.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paste Wax

Ed,
I am not familar with paste wax. Is this the same thing used on cars or perhaps the waterproofing agent rubbed into hiking boots. Lend me some insight please. Plus where do it get some?

Shannon

This might or might not have anything to do with your issue, I happen to use a paste wax and have never seen sawdust stick to it, more details on the thread.

Ed[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a stick of "Oldham CUT-Ease" stick lubricant that I used on the slides of my sticky plunge base. Picked it up at the local Home Depot.

Seemed to work quite well.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Paste wax is car wax as well as floor wax in paste form.
To protect my table saw I use Collonite Wax, it is a boat wax and highly durable.

shrogers said:
Ed,
I am not familar with paste wax. Is this the same thing used on cars or perhaps the waterproofing agent rubbed into hiking boots. Lend me some insight please. Plus where do it get some?

Shannon

Ed
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
shrogers said:
Ed,

Shannon

Ed
[/QUOTE]
The stuff I use is TREWAX clear and has Carnuba wax in it. They say it is a "floor care" product, "no paraffin or greasy solvants". This one pound can has been with me for a while, sorry I don't recall if I got it a wordworking place or hardware store.

I use it on the table saw, jointer, planer, router table, and many other things to protect and lub the surfaces.

I use a car wax that has carnauba in it as well but have never tried the one from the car...... well except on the car. Maybe some one else has???????

Ed

·
Registered
84 Posts
SHROGERS.......... I don't know which model you have but can you tell me how you got the left spring out. I have a 690 and the springs seem much stronger than they need to be. Thank you............DON

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
shrogers said:

Shannon
Did you find something at Home Depot to fix the problem or does it still stick?

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sticky Plunge mechanish

Try getting a can of DRY Teflon spray and using it sparingly on the slides. This is a great non dust collecting lube. It goes on wet and dries quickly to leave a thin teflon lube behind.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT

PS Elmer's Slide All is one brand.
Another is Spray On's Dry TFL Lube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts