Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am newbie here. More than 30 years ago, I was working as a carpenter disciple for more than one year, but never touched any woodworking stuff since there. I have regained some passion for woodworking recently and am trying to make several kitchen cabinets (part of the kitchen remodeling). I'll keep the majority of the old cabinets (one reason is for saving money, another reason is that I like the door pattern type.) I want to make the new cabinet doors look the same or very similar to the old ones.

The existing stile & rail pattern is very similiar to Amana 49537 edge bit (sorry, cannot post the link here). Unfortunately, I searched for more than one week on internet, cannot find a stile & rail set with Amana 49537 pattern type.

Can any experienced craftsmen here provide some information where can I get such a bit or is there any doable work around?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Go to MLCSWOODWORKING.COM and take a look at what they have. Either the reversible or the matched set will work. Also they have free shipping.Don't bother with the set up block. You will need a table and a powerful router.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to MLCSWOODWORKING.COM and take a look at what they have. Either the reversible or the matched set will work. Also they have free shipping.Don't bother with the set up block. You will need a table and a powerful router.
Thanks! I did check this site before and noticed that the most matching set is #8839, but not sure if I can re-assemble them, since this set will cut a profile on two sides?

I got a Bosch 1617EVSPK router and Bosch 1171 table. Also planning to get a Incra V27 miter gauge. Is this enough?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You don't need a miter gauge to machine the doors unless you cut your lengths on the table saw.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks! I did check this site before and noticed that the most matching set is #8839, but not sure if I can re-assemble them, since this set will cut a profile on two sides?

I got a Bosch 1617EVSPK router and Bosch 1171 table. Also planning to get a Incra V27 miter gauge. Is this enough?
The #8839 set you were looking at on MLCS are for passage doors 1-3/8" to 1-3/4" thick. These are not for cabinet doors.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am newbie here. More than 30 years ago, I was working as a carpenter disciple for more than one year, but never touched any woodworking stuff since there. I have regained some passion for woodworking recently and am trying to make several kitchen cabinets (part of the kitchen remodeling). I'll keep the majority of the old cabinets (one reason is for saving money, another reason is that I like the door pattern type.) I want to make the new cabinet doors look the same or very similar to the old ones.

The existing stile & rail pattern is very similiar to Amana 49537 edge bit (sorry, cannot post the link here). Unfortunately, I searched for more than one week on internet, cannot find a stile & rail set with Amana 49537 pattern type.

Can any experienced craftsmen here provide some information where can I get such a bit or is there any doable work around?

Thanks a lot!
The Amana 49537 is not a rail & stile set. It will machine that profile into the outside parameter of the doors. You want a similar rail & stile set to assemble the doors correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Amana 49537 is not a rail & stile set. It will machine that profile into the outside parameter of the doors. You want a similar rail & stile set to assemble the doors correct?
Yes, I need a rail & stile set to produce similar profile

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, I finally found this kind of bit set from here: pmctool.com/product.php?productID=1970&src=gps. But it is so expensive, $399 + tax. Make me think more than twice before buy it :-(

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
ok, I finally found this kind of bit set from here: pmctool.com/product.php?productID=1970&src=gps. But it is so expensive, $399 + tax. Make me think more than twice before buy it :-(

Also those a 3/4" bore shaper cutters, NOT router bits!

By the way there is a real good chance that is the way the originals were made.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yep, afraid so. It is a 6 piece cutter set for a 3/4 inch shaper. That is why it is so expensive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts