Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I’m building drawers for 2 nightstands and the plans called for 3” drawers. However the plans also called for a drawer opening in the apron to be 3 15/16”. I have already mad the opening for the drawer front.
My issue is, I can make the stopped cut on the drawer front on one side, but I would have to go left to right on the other side of drawer face, which could prove disastrous. How would I SAFELY go about making the stopped drawer lock cut on both sides of the drawer front?
Thanks for any guidance.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jim maybe you could post a link to or a picture of the locks so we can see how they mount.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@Jim Gallo - let's make sure we understand what you are trying to do. Are you attempting to make a drawer lock joint on the front/sides of your drawer? If that is the case, why do you need to make it a "stop" joint? If that is not the case, as Chuck said, can you explain it in more detail.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Stopped Drawer lock cut

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to describe vchiarelli. That is my issue, the front is taller than the sides and back of the drawer. I received a good technique from the guys at Lumberjocks and I’m going to give that a try in the morning.
Thanks again!!!!
Jim

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to describe vchiarelli. That is my issue, the front is taller than the sides and back of the drawer. I received a good technique from the guys at Lumberjocks and I’m going to give that a try in the morning.
Thanks again!!!!
Jim

Thanks for clarifying that Jim - makes sense now that. Care to share the tip you received for the benefit of anyone reading this?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I got you now Jim. I altered the title of the thread to show that you want to make a stooped joint cut instead of installing a lock mechanism. For the one cut where you need to start at the point where the drawer side will meet I would clamp a stop block on the infeed side of the fence at the right distance to where you want the cut to start and I would put the drawer against it at an angle and swing the drawer front into the bit slowly. The stop block will prevent it from self feeding and you can then proceed from right to left to finish it as normal.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Make the drawer front 3", cut the corner joint and then glue a 15/16" strip on the top, If you use a thin-kerf blade you should be close to getting the grain to match (assuming that it's going to be stained).

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's similar to what I said but you'll have to make sure you have good pressure on the push block. If you could clamp a stop behind the push block to make sure it can't move as you start the cut then you'll have all the bases covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.