Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece asked me to make her a cover for her stove. She sent a picture and the dimensions. I must say it looks nice in our kitchen. Now my sweetie wants one! :surprise::grin:

Easy to make. I bought a 24x48 inch project panel at the big blue box store. First step was to rip about 1 3/4 inches off one side. Then I cut the panel to size 22x30...and cut the strip in to two pieces that fit the panel. Next came the sanding. Then a little glue and brad nails, and it was ready for stain. I used Minwax "Provincial" stain, several coats of Shellac and a final coat of Minwax clear Satin.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Interesting. Don't think I have ever heard of one. Looks nice tho. With one of those, your wife can stack a whole bunch of stuff on there, then use that as an excuse for not cooking, and make you take her out to eat. Hehehehe
>:)

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nicely done, Mike, but I gotta say the concept gives me the willies. What if one of the kids accidentally, or without thinking, turns a burner on?
They don't have any kids yet. :grin:

Yeah, we could be in the same situation with the grandkids. But they know not to mess with grandmas stove! :grin:

I remember a few decades ago, one of the girls that oive next door was cooking bacon on the stove...and then the phone rang! :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice Mike, never heard of that before, but a good idea. Who did the decal?

Sure would make a nice work surface, and protect the glass top. Sortt of matches the back wall behind the stove too.
Herb
We have natural gas burners. I just double checked. You have to push the knob in, and then turn it before the electronic pilot starts sparking.

That is not a decal. It is a spoon rest or what ever you want to call it. It matches the tile backsplash! :grin:

My sweetie has already said she might also use it as a serving tray and have it set up on the buffet. Guess I need to get busy and build one for her. Gotta keep her happy. :smile:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Got to chime in on the "DANGER" side here.
Yes it looks nice, but the potential for disaster is huge. I've worked with natural and LPG gas most of my career, and have seen many "it wont happen" things happen.
Even I have to admit I once turned a gas burner to "LOW" when I thought I had turned it "OFF". My wife discovered it a few hours later and I am still reminded of it when she needs to score points.

Gas or electric, that could catch fire so easily.

Some gas cookers have fold down lids, but in europe they are required to have a shut off valve fitted that is closed by the lid descending on to a plunger.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Nicely done, Mike, but I gotta say the concept gives me the willies. What if one of the kids accidentally, or without thinking, turns a burner on?
I have to admit this was my first thought as well. A combustible top on a range just seems strange to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the look but .......at least we know it isn't a standing pilot gas model.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.