Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Watched my dad for years make dovetailed boxes and finally I'm trying.
I am a huge green novice trying to learn all the terms. Apologies ahead if I dont describe the well.
I purchased a rockler "complete dovetail jig". I am attempting through cuts.

the first step was to make the tails with a1/2 inch 8 degree bit. That went great!

then I switch the template for the pins and the bit to a 1/2 straight cut but. I adjust for depth and I've totally destroyed the template. I'm going in the correct direction as far as I know. Assuming I don't have the bit installed correctly somehow. Normally Google would help but couldnt find.

thanks for your help.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum, NodakCali.

Did you remove the template guide bushing when you changed cutters?

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Helmet Sports equipment Material property Gas Auto part

It is the brass thing in the middle of the router base that the bit sticks through.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Most dovetail jigs, I have seen, require a template guide that fits between the fingers of the jig...(or bearing guided cutters)...

I would suggest you take the time to read the manual and also check some videos on Youtube.

Also 1/2" seems a bit big???

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
According to the manual, you should be using a 5/16" straigh bit, not 1/2"???

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
I never had it on in the first place! Ugh. Should the first step worked at all?
You may have been very lucky, and the shaft of the cutter rode along the jig finger...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your not alone. I cut up a 24" long dovetail joint jig I made (hours it took me to make) to cut dovetails on a cedar box that held a sail for a hobbie cat sailboat. As soon as my router bit slipped in the collet and it started chewing off my dovetail jig fingers I started feeling a really sick feeling in my gut. 40 years ago! Learned a valueable lesson on those router bits. Tighten them things! Funny how them simple little things can bring tears to our eyes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts