Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

These hinges are a recent find, and by that I mean I found them, just dumped!

They are super strong and move precisely 90 degrees but I can't see any use for them.

If anyone knows what they are for or needs some let me know, I found 2 pairs.

Anyone wanting them would either have to pick up or pay carriage on them.

Any guesses?

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,227 Posts
They look vaguely familiar to me, Al. They may be from a sofa where the back folds flat to make a bed. Hopefully someone can give you the correct answer.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Al; if Oliver's correct (and he very likely is) the folks to corroborate that would be the re-upholstery shop guys. Any one in your area?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Could be hinges for an overhead cupboard where the cupboard door is hinged at the top, and swings up around a horizontal axis. Hinges like that need a way to lock into position when they are open.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,

You all seem on the same track so I will believe the "hive mind", always served me well in past decisions and debates. :yes4:

So we know roughly what they are. Now I have choices, re-dump them, give them away or find a project that requires them and build something? :help:

Suggestions again please, Al

PS the hinges do not lock in either position! They just hit stops.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Al..........if you keep them, you'll never need them. If you get rid of them, it won't be 2 weeks before you think of something you could have used them on. What a dilemma.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,227 Posts
Maybe you could make a router table that folds down flat against the wall or end of a bench
You and I are on the same wave length, Al M. BigAlScorpio (confusing responding to two Als) you could make a folding extension leaf for a shop table the would flip up when needed and fold down when not. With a little creative thought you're bound to think of a project. If not pass them on to someone. It would be a shame to dump them, as Jim (chessnut2) said, if you do you'll need them 2 weeks later. :yes4:

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Hi again,

You all seem on the same track so I will believe the "hive mind", always served me well in past decisions and debates. :yes4:
Hive mind lol . I've never heard it put that way . We are Borg , resistance is futile :sarcastic:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good thinking , Al . If you send them to me I shall feel propelled into using for some as yet unimagined project .

Rog

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Roger, Where abouts are you? I am near sheffield. May have to send you the hinges just to puzzle you about what to use them for. lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Al , I am in East Anglia , happy to pay postage ; I am thinking I could find something similarly incongruous and send it someone else on the forum and so on , then see what we all managed to make .......

Sounds like a plan to me. Who knows the Rainman might end up with a wingsuit after all !

Rog

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Rog, PM me your details and I'll get them weighed and packed and let you know.

Al

PS can't wait to see the end result!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I've only just seen this and now I'm beginning to wonder what hardware you use in windows in the USA. They are a pair of hinge/stays for use with top-hung casement lights (windows). They should have friction hinges so that they lock in position, but they aren't designed to carry much weight

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
138 Posts
"Al..........if you keep them, you'll never need them. If you get rid of them, it won't be 2 weeks before you think of something you could have used them on. What a dilemma."

Jim it is heart warming to find a connected soul, that has the same expierances in his life as I have had,,,,Had to give an out loud "HEY,,,RIGHT ON !!!" when I read that. :=))

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hide and Seek

Al..........if you keep them, you'll never need them. If you get rid of them, it won't be 2 weeks before you think of something you could have used them on. What a dilemma.
I hear that!
I've had one of those el cheapo draughting table lamps floating around here for over 12 years...now that I just discovered that my scroll saw has a mounting hole in the frame just for that purpose, do you think I can find the lamp?! #$&*&)_)*_^$!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts