Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

On my most recent project, I noticed some black stains appear during milling. The stained area intensified as I milled more. Of about 15 boards, about 4 have a few stained areas. The stains were adjacent to the grain, which suggests that the stains are not naturally occurring in the grain. From the surface, I couldn't tell which boards would have stains. Occurred on 4/4 and 8/4.

See the attached photos. Is this a known phenomenon or did I get a freak batch?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
looks like the oak came in contact w/ iron or steel...
oxalic acid may clean it up...

Reactions: bcfunburst

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
wondering if barbed wire might have caused that?? this is an interesting one

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Maybe steel banding on the sling, if it was bundled. Or if it was kiln dried, maybe the cart or rack support made it as the moisture was drawn from the wood., if it was the bottom layer of the stack.

Is it on both sides of the board, and in the same spot on other boards?

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Another but slightly lesser possibility is that the lumber was stickered with some wood that maybe had too high a moisture content.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The steel banding on the stack was my first thought. Strange though that I didn't see any markings on the outside of the wood. I only noticed something when I begin milling. Also, the markings intensified as I got deeper. Any way I might anticipate this for the future?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Staining in White Oak

Is it possible the staining is a type of mould inside the wood, just like the blackish staining in Maple?? I have seen this sort of staining in many different hardwoods and I was told it was a type of mould caused by prolonged moisture retention. There may be a product to bleach out the stain if you do a Google Search.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If it got worse as you went deeper makes me think it may have been on the verge of starting to rot. Rots start out as a stain and the stain that's there is too wide for banding. Banding is only normally 1/2 to 1" wide. Is there any indication that that area was close to a knot? Broken limbs are the usual entry point of wood fungi and since knots go to the heart of the tree they follow the heart and then work their way back through other knots back out to the surface of the tree.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Looks to me like it was bunked on a steel bunk or rack to dry and the moisture in the wood migrated to the steel and as the wood dried it absorbed it and turned dark. It probably only showed up on the bottom boards of the pile, is my guess. If it was fungus seems to me it would be following the grain.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
some body drove a nail into the tree that produced the wood...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts