Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to order some dowels today. I had purchased the Jessem Doweling Jig about a year or so ago and of course some dowels. I assumed that I had purchased them from Jessem so of course I phoned them. They gave me a price of almost fifty dollars for a bag of 50 3/8"x 1.5" spiral dowels. Needless to say I was a bit shocked. However the lady that I talked to suggested that I try Cincianti Dowels which I did and got 1,000 of the dowels that I wanted for $30 and ten dollars shipping.

I called Jessem back to tell them and the woman admitted that they can't buy wholesale from their supplier and said that they would be going back to buy from Cincinati Dowels.

For the like of me I don't recall where I bought the first box of 250 from.

I ask the woman at Jessem about the fact that the dowels that I have been using fit very tight and when I want to do a trial assembly, I have had to sand the dowels down by putting them in my drill and wrapping sand paper around them. She said that they put their dowels in the microwave when they want to reduce the size so that they don't fit so tight. I will try that, wonder if anybody else has any experience with that idea?

Jerry

Jerry

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I don't use dowels but do use biscuits, most times I search for and use the narrower ones, eventually the thick ones are all that's left and I do put them in the oven or toaster oven to dry and shrink them up. I add glue to the biscuit holes, so if they're too tight before gluing they're impossible without hammering after. Quite a few times I've used biscuits along with Gorilla glue, between the water in the hole and glue on the biscuit they need to be baked.

Reactions: Gaffboat

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
The toaster oven / microwave drying technique sounds like a great trick. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The toaster oven / microwave drying technique sounds like a great trick. Thanks for the info.

I hope that it works, having to sand the dowels in order to do a test installation without glue and be able to take things apart has been a pain for me. I report on it after I try it if somebody else doesn't do so first.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When I cook biscuits I spread way more than I need over one of wifey's cookie sheets then set the oven to warm, I think that means around 160° for 30 mins.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ahhhh ...
JessEm customer service...
always said they were top notch and instantaneous...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I use a heat gun so I do not have to wait for the oven. Besides, more often than not, its 100 degrees F outside and the AC is running. Rarely use dowels but works great on biscuits.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I hope that it works, having to sand the dowels in order to do a test installation without glue and be able to take things apart has been a pain for me. I report on it after I try it if somebody else doesn't do so first.

Jerry
When I used dowels back in the days before pocket screws, I had a handful of dowels with splits at the ends that were used to test the assembly before final fit up and glue. I didn't have a bandsaw at the time so the slots were cut on a Dremel Moto-Shop scroll saw Dremel Moto Shop Scroll Saw in Running Condition | eBay which I still have and used recently to cut the plexiglass parts for a wind chime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I used dowels back in the days before pocket screws, I had a handful of dowels with splits at the ends that were used to test the assembly before final fit up and glue. I didn't have a bandsaw at the time so the slots were cut on a Dremel Moto-Shop scroll saw Dremel Moto Shop Scroll Saw in Running Condition | eBay which I still have and used recently to cut the plexiglass parts for a wind chime.[/QUOTE

Tom,
I like the your idea better than cooking the dowels as it can be done right in the shop and while I would have to cut one at a time, it looks like it would be faster than cooking them. There seems to be no end to the little things that one learns on our forum, thanks for the post on the matter.

Jerry

·
Registered
657 Posts
There seems to be no end to the little things that one learns on our forum, thanks for the post on the matter.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Yeap, thats incredible and amazing! :wink:

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
When I used dowels back in the days before pocket screws, I had a handful of dowels with splits at the ends that were used to test the assembly before final fit up and glue. I didn't have a bandsaw at the time so the slots were cut on a Dremel Moto-Shop scroll saw Dremel Moto Shop Scroll Saw in Running Condition | eBay which I still have and used recently to cut the plexiglass parts for a wind chime.[/QUOTE

Tom,
I like the your idea better than cooking the dowels as it can be done right in the shop and while I would have to cut one at a time, it looks like it would be faster than cooking them. There seems to be no end to the little things that one learns on our forum, thanks for the post on the matter.

Jerry
And you can reuse them so you don't have to do it again.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts