Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone on the router forum, this is my first post and I would like some advice re stripping old furniture ready for refinishing.
Has anyone ever used caustic soda in a hot mix? I have been told this can be very effective and gets into all the nooks and crannys, apart from the safety aspect are there any problems with using this method? any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting a bit frustrated with trying not to cross the grain using abrasive paper.
Toadpyke.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I'm interested to see if anyone's tried it on wood; I've used it successfully on concrete in the past. Sold here as 'Gillett's Lye,' way back when.
Nasty stuff, Martyn. What's wrong with any of the gel stripper formulations?
A lot of folks have been very pleased with the citrus type of strippers, well as other non-caustic types.
Greensolv Paint Remover - Lee Valley Tools

·
Registered
150 Posts
I not only want to know how to get the "old" stuff off.

But I also want to know how do I get the next finish to "stick" to the furinture ?

Sanding Sealer (water or oil based,) Clean with solvents (mineral spirits, menthanol, turpentine....gasoline...not near my heater).....

The slowly build up the layers of shellac, poly, etc.....

This is my nemasis in wood wood working. Getting the finish to LOOK good ! (in my wife's eyes....)

See says all of the finishes YOU put on look like an amature ! (Ouch [email protected]#$%)

Help !

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Martyn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts