Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 1617evspk today. looks like a terrific machine. I have not run it yet. It comes with a .50" collet installed. my first use will be with a .25" shaft. So I removed the half and put the quarter in and tightened the nut before putting in the bit. I tightened too much and now the nut comes off but the collet is stuck in the shaft. How an I get the collet out of the shaft?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@Riversider - welcome to the forums - if you fill out your profile with your first name it will make discussions with you more friendly. We don't like to call anyone n/a.

Now for your problem: on my 1617, the collet and nut are one piece - that is to say that when the nut is removed, the collet comes out with it - for both the 1/2" and the 1/4". When you loosen the nut, it becomes tight again and you have to keep loosening the nut for the bit to come out.

So, are you saying that you were able to actually remove the nut without the collet?

You can post pics from your computer without having to wait for 10 posts - a pic might help us understand your situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for stepping in. the collet and nut are supposed to stay together but after i tightened the quarter inch collet nut (without bit) I loosened the nut til it came off but left the collet in the shaft and I cant free it. Here are the pics. I left them larg so you can see the detail. thanks for any input you can provide.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Riversider
This is not good, getting it out with out damage but it has to come out.
I would remove the motor from the base you might be able then to take a flat blade screw driver and pry it out, try and be careful you may have to buy a new collet.
Never tighten a nut and collet down without a bit in it . Yes the collet and nut need to be snap together

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Take a pin punch and tap on the collet from the side being careful not to hit the threads on the arbor. Give it a few taps then rotate the shaft. You should never tighten the nut with no bit in the collet. You can damage the collet doing that.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,973 Posts
Riverside
Here is a silent video of what you did and how do I insert a collet so the next it will come out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.