Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pretty busy making stuff this spring. My daughter is getting married in October and as something to put in the guest bags, I've made a bunch of wood coasters. Around 500 of them:surprise:. They're about 4" square by 1/4" thick and I made an assortment from maple, walnut and cherry. This was a very tedious and boring project but well worth it considering that it's for my daughter.:grin:

This project reinforced my feelings about being retired and not working on a production line. I know I wouldn't want to make coasters for a living. I didn't include any pictures since they're quite mundane.

However, I have attached pictures of a dog bed I just finished for my grand dog. It's made from walnut and finished with spray lacquer. My wife bought the cushion for it. One thing that I haven't learned very well is wood selection. Not the type of wood but the actual pieces that I use. I have too much heartwood (I think it's heartwood - it's the light colored parts) in the project and I think it detracts from the overall appearance. I keep telling myself that I'll pay more attention the next time I build something but I always seem to forget.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Ah yes the grand dogs. They can be as important as grand kids. I have no grand kids but 3 grand dogs, that's how I know this. You are expected to spoil them as much as you would spoil grand children, and at a roughly equal dollar level.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
@chuckgray. Any dog worth his bones would kill to own such a beautiful bed.You must love your dog so much & he/she must love you.I'll be making a similar bed for "Charlie"but it won't be as neat as yours

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,198 Posts
Very nice looking, Chuck! I like the contrast in the wood and actually buy my Walnut looking for the mix. Just an FYI, the dark part is the heartwood and the lighter part is the sapwood. It's all Walnut, though, and purty!

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice looking, Chuck! I like the contrast in the wood and actually buy my Walnut looking for the mix. Just an FYI, the dark part is the heartwood and the lighter part is the sapwood. It's all Walnut, though, and purty!

David
David, thanks for the clarification about the heartwood and your kind comments are much appreciated.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,198 Posts
You bet, Chuck - you do nice work!

Here's a little more 'Walnut' info that some may not know - I buy unsteamed Walnut directly from a sawmill specifically because I want the sapwood as it is in the raw. Steamed Walnut is what most lumber yards carry and I just don't care for it as much.

Walnut is steamed to produce an even color and the process causes the sapwood to darken. Most of the time when people think of Walnut they think 'dark', so when an architect or designer specifies Walnut for trim, cabinets, furniture, etc., they want dark wood. In order to get a good yield on the tree the wood is steamed and this is accepted in most cases. If they didn't steam Walnut then the yield from the tree would probably be about 60% of what it is now and that would make prices go through the roof on an already pricey wood.

But to my eye the process muddies the figure and color of the natural Walnut. It loses some of the brilliance, shimmer, and chatoyance present when any kind of figure comes into play. I've had some projects where people have specified to use only heartwood and I work around the sapwood in those cases. I think a few streaks of sapwood really give a lot of character to a piece but that depends on the piece as it's designed and the desired final look.

My $0.02... ok, that might be a nickel's worth :wink:

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make the railing out of Raw Hide and Charlie will never get out of bed.
Herb
Lovely piece. Looks good enough to chew on.
LOL...I like the idea of the rawhide on the railing...

My wife was checking out my work and she suggested that a drawer would have been convenient for toys...I agree. If she had mentioned it before I had it completed, I probably would have included it.

You bet, Chuck - you do nice work!

Here's a little more 'Walnut' info that some may not know - I buy unsteamed Walnut directly from a sawmill specifically because I want the sapwood as it is in the raw. Steamed Walnut is what most lumber yards carry and I just don't care for it as much.

Walnut is steamed to produce an even color and the process causes the sapwood to darken. Most of the time when people think of Walnut they think 'dark', so when an architect or designer specifies Walnut for trim, cabinets, furniture, etc., they want dark wood. In order to get a good yield on the tree the wood is steamed and this is accepted in most cases. If they didn't steam Walnut then the yield from the tree would probably be about 60% of what it is now and that would make prices go through the roof on an already pricey wood.

But to my eye the process muddies the figure and color of the natural Walnut. It loses some of the brilliance, shimmer, and chatoyance present when any kind of figure comes into play. I've had some projects where people have specified to use only heartwood and I work around the sapwood in those cases. I think a few streaks of sapwood really give a lot of character to a piece but that depends on the piece as it's designed and the desired final look.

My $0.02... ok, that might be a nickel's worth :wink:

David
Thanks David. That's good information regarding the steaming process.

·
Registered
Paul
2,100 Posts
Nice, comfortable looking bed. Some grand dog is being spoiled. The wood and finish looks fantastic to me. The blocks in the corners of the rails are a nice touch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.