Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wind brought down one of our pine trees. I could have spent a few hours removing it, but opted to avoid that kind of labor and, instead, spent around a hundred hours dressing it up.:grin:

This measures about 18" square and about 24" tall. The top lifts off to allow access to solar powered lights for the windows, but is secured in anticipation of the 50 mph, or better, winds we get each year. All the shakes were hand split. Of course, all the siding was cut from cedar I had laying around. The 16 windows are plexi and glow by way of the solar lights inside.

It still isn't done. I have windows with shake awnings and doors, also with awnings, that will be installed in the stump. As well, I have an elevator for one of the main house entry doors and stairs for the other. The base is littered with mushrooms that would make the best expert scratch his or her head. For the heck up it, I'll fire up the scroll saw and cut out a few Plexiglass butterflies on wires to adorn it too. In time, who knows, maybe I'll put a for rent sign out and see if I can lure in an elf, troll, gnome and org or two. Maybe another dragon.

To anyone interested:

STAIN: The cedar shakes were darkened using the steel wool and vinegar approach (even if the "stain" is light, it will darken wood when it dries and the darker the mix the darker the shakes go).

FINISH: Since this will take a beating from hot summer sun, sprinklers and a bit of snow, I wanted to be able to maintain the finish with relative ease. As such, I used the good old pine tar pitch, turpentine and boiled linseed oil approach. I thinned the pine tar with "about" a cup and a half of turpentine, though mineral spirits or paint thinner would work too. When the pine tar is dissolved, it should drip off the brush like oil or even just a bit thinner. To that I added "about" 1/3 cup boiled linseed oil. If it thickened too much, I thinned a bit more.

This finish stinks for a few days, so watch for splashes on your cloths and consider disposable gloves. The finish should soak into dry wood on the first coat or two. If it builds too much, before soaking in, thin a bit more. The thinner can always evaporate off [to California].

The idea is to leave mostly a pin tar pitch finish you can touch, after a few days, and not have it come off on you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
What's a hundred hours when you're having fun...:grin:

That is some amazing work...fantastic detail...and the patience to make all those little pieces...! ! !

I'm speechless...! ! !

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that's some phenomenal tough act to follow work you've done there Kelly...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's quite a job Kelly. What I find even more amazing is that you must be one of the few lucky men on the planet to have finished the wife's to do list.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Neat project!! You build it inside and then fasten to the stump?

·
Registered
17,389 Posts
Impressive job Kelly . I’m surprised you didn’t work in Hollywood designing sets

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
You are a true artist, Kelly, just a fantastic job. You have more patience than I do. I hope the hot sun over there doesn't eat it up.
Were you able to salvage any wood from the Pine Tree?
HErb

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Nice, but I would like to see a spiral staircase, wrapping around the stump, leading to the door.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Was thinking about it, but opted for the stained glass elevator, instead. Too, there are other doors and windows going in, as well as other stairs, so it'd be a big fight to put together something that might get vandalized by some scumbag.

Nice, but I would like to see a spiral staircase, wrapping around the stump, leading to the door.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
so it'd be a big fight to put together something that might get vandalized by some scumbag.
Unfortunately, very true. Some kind of proximity alarm maybe. Say a large pit bull.

·
Official Greeter
8,154 Posts
Unbelievable work Kelly.

Reactions: papasombre

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I see the work those guys and gals do and it puts me back to humble, when I'm thinking something I did was of any significance. It's kind of like being proud of the shop I've assembled. It's an eighteen hundred square foot beast with a couple good bandsaws, a 4'x6' caver, cabinet saw, three dust collectors (two four bag), etc. and it is all paled by ONE of my friend's combines (including the shop).

Impressive job Kelly . I’m surprised you didn’t work in Hollywood designing sets

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Looks like a nice fun project and great use of that old stump.

I remove several pine stumps when we had 8 trees removed and spent several days digging, chopping roots, and filling holes. It would have been more fun to have done something like this because I could have said "see what I did" and people could see something spectacular instead of seeing, essentially, nothing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts