Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Couple months ago, I posted a RFI on my defunct Craftsman Router. Couple of replies were appreciated but no luck. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new router. Now i am not a production kind of guy; so I don't need a top line router. I am looking for a mid priced good router (kinda like Craftsman used to be). Trying to learn how to make dovetail joints (have a good Porter Jig for this), make a couple of OG's, fillets and round overs. Also building a new desk for my office, so doing some laminates.

Would prefer something not made in China.

Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
41 Posts
Hi Jim
I got a pretty good deal on a Dewalt (618 ,IIRC) at lowes. Comes with fixed and plunge bases. I like it.
For a little more $, you could go with a Milwaukee. I got one of those dedicated to doing dovetails. Very nice router.
Good luck.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hi Jim
I got a pretty good deal on a Dewalt (618 ,IIRC) at lowes. Comes with fixed and plunge bases. I like it.
For a little more $, you could go with a Milwaukee. I got one of those dedicated to doing dovetails. Very nice router.
Good luck.
Hi Holsterguy,
I've had a DeWalt DW618 for a bunch of years, but I'm a DIY weekender. I recently had a problem. I've got a couple of posts referencing a Sparking Brushes problem. Turns out it was a broken Magnet Ring. I couldn't find a lot of info on the Magnet Ring but what I did find said the Magnet Ring broke a lot. The only repair info I found was on Ereplacementparts and the info was from users. I checked the DeWalt web site and found nothing on the Magnet Ring. I contacted DeWalt support and they said take the router to an Authorized repair shop. I can understand not providing technical over the phone or via email, but just a little info on the Magnet Ring would have been nice. For example, the Magnet Ring is supposed to be attached with an adhesive. One post said use a 2 part epoxy, another said use Loctite 680. The least DeWalt could have done was tell me what to use.
I have installed a new Magnet Ring and replaced both bearings, since I had the tool dismantled. Brushes had 3/4".
So, I'm considering kicking DeWalt to the curb and based on your comment and switching over to another brand. I've got some Bosch power tools and their router (1617) has a lot of fans. Your Milwaukee recommendation got my attention....good idea?
Thank you.

·
Registered
Trim carpenter
41 Posts
Hi Holsterguy,
I've had a DeWalt DW618 for a bunch of years, but I'm a DIY weekender. I recently had a problem. I've got a couple of posts referencing a Sparking Brushes problem. Turns out it was a broken Magnet Ring. I couldn't find a lot of info on the Magnet Ring but what I did find said the Magnet Ring broke a lot. The only repair info I found was on Ereplacementparts and the info was from users. I checked the DeWalt web site and found nothing on the Magnet Ring. I contacted DeWalt support and they said take the router to an Authorized repair shop. I can understand not providing technical over the phone or via email, but just a little info on the Magnet Ring would have been nice. For example, the Magnet Ring is supposed to be attached with an adhesive. One post said use a 2 part epoxy, another said use Loctite 680. The least DeWalt could have done was tell me what to use.
I have installed a new Magnet Ring and replaced both bearings, since I had the tool dismantled. Brushes had 3/4".
So, I'm considering kicking DeWalt to the curb and based on your comment and switching over to another brand. I've got some Bosch power tools and their router (1617) has a lot of fans. Your Milwaukee recommendation got my attention....good idea?
Thank you.
I really like the Milwaukee. It’s not a monster 3hp, but it has micro adjust and a way to do above table, if you put it in a table.
A few utube videos about it. Got mine from Acme tools. Always had good luck with them.
Tom

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
I'd go with the Bosch 1617 EVSPK, which is the full kit, punge and fixed bases. It's been around for a while and the folks here who have them like them. I'm not really a fan of DeWalt's height adjusting ring that runs on what looks to me to be a pretty coarse thread. Haven't used one, and I like the low slung profile, but since they're about the same price as the Bosch kit, I would go with the 1617. $275 for the kit, which includes their very beefy edge guide, which can perform as a circle guide. Lots of accessories. Anazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EV...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The kit includes collets and a case.
Liquid Product Cosmetics Line Font

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Holsterguy,
Thank you.
Liability is everything these days plus they're pushing legislation to lock you out by not even having parts available. How much money they could make by forcing yiu to use their repair facilities. Part of the Great Reset where everything will be leased not owned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd go with the Bosch 1617 EVSPK, which is the full kit, punge and fixed bases. It's been around for a while and the folks here who have them like them. I'm not really a fan of DeWalt's height adjusting ring that runs on what looks to me to be a pretty coarse thread. Haven't used one, and I like the low slung profile, but since they're about the same price as the Bosch kit, I would go with the 1617. $275 for the kit, which includes their very beefy edge guide, which can perform as a circle guide. Lots of accessories. Anazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Extraction/dp/B01F6MVZX2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=7NK3ZIF10496&keywords=Bosch+1617+EVSPK&qid=1660259844&sprefix=bosch+1617+evspk,aps,493&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE4MlRFOFo5TEg5MEImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNTIwMDYxMjNJNVpYSzBPNzlJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MTEzMzcyWTlST0FMRzhFVTNVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The kit includes collets and a case.
View attachment 402243
Just bought one and found the depth adjustment won't work with a 4" bit. I reported it as a design flaw to Bosch who thanked me but has no intention of adding another 4 inches to the depth guide to make it functional. I haven't tried it with other bit sizes but if it takes an additional 4" for a 4" bit how many for a 3" bit? Depends how far up you can seat the bit and how low you need to go. This would be a small fix for Bosch. I'm going to have to have it machined which will be like $200.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Even the Dewalt 625 will take a 4" bit without a problem . The 618 won't smaller Bosch routers wont. You get ino 3+ routers you'll find they take a longer shaft...

Notice the DW625 will take the bit without a problem but the 618 wont.
Wood Gas Machine Metal Composite material
Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I got to tell you I was searching and the biggest router I could find was a 2 1/4 hp. There was a Bosch that was 2 1/3 but that's so insignificant it wasn't worth considering. Having came from the Lowe's ripoff of the Freud that had no accesssories the Bosch had those but I would have never guessed there was a depth gauge problem. I even went to Triton's site but they were not rated especially well and there was no gaurantee that their depth stop would be any better since they're all made by essentially one factory
Although I had heard some guys in the craft rate them well. I've never heard anything about DeWalt that was special except overly pricy. I guess I'll see what I got when the depth finder comes back. I don't think I'll have a problem of torque but threre's really a thin market that's coming from China. I choose to gain access to the accesesories.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Triton is a great router. Many of us here have one and really like it. 3.25 hp and they have the built in lift, and are not very much more than a 2.25 hp Bosch.
Do they have the accessory parts like the Bosch? Seems like anything you could possibly want for the Bosch is available.

At this point I can't retun the Bosch unless the company would take it back for failure to perform as advertised.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Hi cityguy. What accessory parts do you mean?
I have not found my Triton lacking in anything!!!

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Mine came with an edge guide in the box and template guides are available?

"etc" can cover almost anything......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts