Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My oldest is working on her Girl Scout Gold Award (their equivalent of the Eagle Scout award), and her service project is a massive undertaking.

To meet the requirements for her award (and to also meet the requirements of a multi-year project in her school) she has planned and organized a greyhound/sight hound awareness, education and adoption event. Given our 'usual' weather around here she planned months ago for the event to be held inside the horse riding arena at a local farm. Little did we know we were going to have a late summer! To offset the costs of this she has opened it up to vendors, a food truck, and other groups to spread the cost around, received a bunch of silent auction and raffle prize donations, and accepted donations from other parties.

She is still a little worried about recouping all of the costs associated with the building rental, porta-potty rentals, advertising costs, etc. that she had to borrow from the Bank of Dad, so I told her I would put together a bunch of small pieces for sale as well. Since a vendor will be selling something a little similar, I will be having that vendor consign these items so that they won't compete too much with her sales.

All of the material used was either free from craigslist (the red oak was old store displays), pallets, low grade pine that was laying around, or scrap Corian from an old school laboratory counter-top. As much as I love working with Corian, I really hate Corian....

I have a few more pieces to finish by Saturday, and I have to put the final finish coats on these signs by then as well. So far, the quality control experts seemed to approve. My antique little drum sander has been a Godsend when painting these signs.

The circular piece is one of two created from her logo (she designed a patch for the event) and will be either trivets, cheese boards, or something similar. It was my first real design project using Aspire to convert graphics into vectors.

My daughter also built a frame to fit in my truck bed to display her banner when we park it along the local dog walk trail. It is also great advertising as I drive around town, and keeps my lead foot in check.:wink:

I am hoping that this event is a success for her sake, and for the sake of the volunteers and vendors. I am insanely proud of the planning and effort that a 16 year hold has put in to taking on a project of this size, so win, lose, or draw it is already a success.

I have served on several Eagle Scout Boards of review, and can honestly say that this is one of the largest scout undertakings that I have seen in a long time. She has definitely learned a lot.

https://houndsathazelwild.wordpress.com/author/greyhoundgold2016/

https://www.facebook.com/events/574361499402336/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Your sharing makes me proud of her. Have you contacted local radio station? They love doing interviews on stuff like this maybe get her some free air time. BTW nice work by you, cute signs Great logo

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your sharing makes me proud of her. Have you contacted local radio station? They love doing interviews on stuff like this maybe get her some free air time. BTW nice work by you, cute signs Great logo
The local radio stations are running her ad as part of their community calendar.

The hard part with the signs is figuring out what to put on them. Fortunately I have a good staff of writers.

The logo translated down pretty nicely to a 2" patch. Obviously the year would have been too small to fit on there, so she left it off.

Thanks for the kind words!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Gee Doug your certainly one heck of a dad , and I hope this goes great for her :)
If you can PM me with some info , I would certainly be willing to make a donation myself , as every bit helps .
Can we do email bank transfers between Canada and the US?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You've got a fine young lady there, Doug! You and your wife should be very proud of yourselves for the job you did raising her. I hope the event is a success beyond her wildest dreams!

·
Registered
Theo
6,935 Posts
The logo translated down pretty nicely to a 2" patch. Obviously the year would have been too small to fit on there, so she left it off.
I have seen some patches with the year divided. That is, the first two numbers on the left side, and the second two on the right side. And seen others with a 'tab' on the top, or bottom, of the patch, with the year.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,354 Posts
Great effort from a sixteen year old. Shows plenty of commitment.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ross,
This week is a rough one for her, she is stressing a bit. She has some good mentors and a lot of volunteers helping her out, so I know she'll make it. I wasn't able to do stuff like this at her age.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Doug,
That is a great accomplishment and seeing the depth of her project humbles me for what little I do. I'm with Rick on this one, is there any way this part of your "family" can contribute? It would have to be a cash gift this late, but a little more lead time for her next event, I could be challenged to build a box (nothing like Malcolm's...but it would be made of wood!!)

Let me know if we can help out.

By the way, I'm impressed with the web site. Well organized, good flow, and excellent grammar--that's a dying art in the age of texting!!

earl

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Earl,

You and Rick are far too kind. It wasn't the intent of the post to fund raise, but if you send me a PM we can talk about it.

Glad to be apart of this 'family'!

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
A task for all hands on deck. Please keep us updated on the outcome and her final award. I have not doubt she'll make the grade and excel in the future at what ever she tries.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Count me in on the fundraising. BTW, This kind of event is very easy to promote using simple public relations methods. TV, radio, local websites, city event listings on the internet, facebook groups in your area, speaking to clubs (senior groups), the PR folks at the local animal shelter. This is perfect for the local newspaper(s). Girl scout project, dogs, kids, every editor will love it. And with pictures and even short video clips, you'd get great coverage. And no cost involved. I bet you could find a young person in a local high school, or even a TV journalism student who would be tickled to make a story of it for his sample reel. If she wants to repeat the event, let me know and I'll get on the phone to explain exactly how to do the promotion at no cost.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I agree with what Tom said Doug. TV stations love doing short bits of youth showing initiative to do something worthwhile for their community. If there is one close I would call them. I was on TV 2 or 3 times here involving issue between the government and my little community. News programs survive on stories like these.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Doug:

Please see my PM as well re a possible contribution. Any youth exhibiting this level of initiative and commitment deserves recognition and the program should be supported.

Jon

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A task for all hands on deck. Please keep us updated on the outcome and her final award. I have not doubt she'll make the grade and excel in the future at what ever she tries.
Well, the event day came and was a success! We had over 120 visitors, 21 pets in attendance, in addition to 70 volunteers and vendors and the 20+ greyhounds and sight hounds that were there for the meet and greet. We were able to start setting up at 8pm the night before, and it was a good thing! There was a hiccup or 2 with the original 'coursing' lane design, but a quick trip to the Big Box Store for a couple of supplies and we were good to go. Thanks so much to those from the forum who donated, that offset the costs for the materials for the coursing lane.

There were 13 vendors, 5 adoption groups, the Sherriff's K-9 unit, a re-enactment group (who also brought a first aid team), and some college student volunteers who served as historical reenactors to help the kids earn their badge. There were originally only going to be 3 demonstrations of the lure coursing of the hounds, but there was a lot of interest from others who brought hounds, so 4 additional 'pick up' runs were added. The crowd really enjoyed them. Video of one of the additional runs was posted at the site below.

Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue: Shaelee: 11/6 - Look at me!

The weather was great for the pony rides, for keeping the parking lot from becoming a mud puddle, and for letting people enjoy the day. The silent auction and donation totals aren't finalized yet, but it does look like the event paid for itself. There has been interest by many to do it again next year, but my daughter has expressed her opinion that someone else needs to plan and arrange it. She will be happy to share her lessons learned and any materials generated by this project.

I didn't do too bad with my sales, sold a handful of signs, 2 book cases, and a bench.

It was an amazing event to see, and even more impressive because it was put in to existence by a 16 yr old. I confess, I might be a little proud right now.

I am waiting for a few others to send me some pictures, hopefully I will have more to share!

Thanks again to all those contributed or offered other support. You are what make this forum a special place.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
@kp91

Doug: One and all should be proud and we thank you for the update. How many hounds were adopted?

I can certainly understand why your daughter would like to turn over the reigns for the next one. Hopefully she has started something that others can build on. The best legacy.

Jon

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@kp91

How many hounds were adopted?
The groups rarely do same day adoptions, they work,with the interested families to determine the best possible fit of a dog for them.

i do not have a number on applications filed out by the various groups, but I was present at a few discussions with potential adopters, and my wife says there were many more.

I somewhat jokingly say that the process is more intense to adopt one of these dogs than a child. The groups make sure the families are educated on the breed, the unique challenges of taking in a dog that has lived in the racing kennel environment, and that the dog has been evaluated by the foster family to see how it reacts to other dogs, small animals, and children. That way it ends up a positive experience for all.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
@kp91

Thank you for the overview of the process. Given the environment these dogs come form it is a very logical approach. I've met several people over the eyars who have adopted former racing greyhounds and every one of them was very pleased with their choice and highly recommended the dogs.

The old dog in my avatar was part miniature greyhound and he was a valued companion for 18 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts