Router Forums banner

Surprised I could use my CNC for model making

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  4DThinker 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I never expected to use my CNC for model making, but it turned out to be a helpful tool for this little project.

The back story (every good project has a story) is that one of my favorite New Orleans area buildings is in a neighborhood that is rapidly changing. Urban renewal means its demise is probably on the horizon, and I wanted to make something to keep it alive ... at least on a small scale.

One corner of the building is curved at the top and with a door at a 45º angle. I had trouble figuring out how to model the corner and make things line up correctly. Then I realized I had a tool that could solve that issue.

I cut a bottom and top support for building the walls out of 1/4" MDF. The top piece was cut two-sided to make the slight overhang above the main door. Those pieces let me make a framework to wrap the 1/8" foam-core for the walls.

The overhanging roof also needed something to simplify the modeling. I cut 25 supports out of 1/8" birch plywood with the CNC. I would never have succeeded in making that many pieces to a consistent size if I had tried cutting them by hand.

Window Door Plant Building Font

Property Wood Window Composite material Gas

Flooring Gas Road surface Home appliance Electronic device
Road surface Wood Rectangle Grey Automotive exterior
Wood Rectangle Grey Hardwood Font
Table Flooring Floor Desk Automotive exterior
Road surface Wood Floor Flooring Asphalt

See less See more
#7 ·
Yeah, for the most part, but this was the first time I considered the CNC for such a small-scale project. V Carve made it really quick and easy to design these small parts. The model is roughly 1:48 scale. I would have made it larger but it would take up too much shelf space. :D

#10 ·
Beautiful work. Thanks for the process photos. With the availability of 1/16 and even 1/32" end mills and .001" precision a CNC is easily capable of tiny details and making 1/4, 1/8, 1/32, etc. scale parts. I've used mine to make 1/4 and 1/5 scale models of furniture designs. The good photos here are 1/3 scale models of a saw horse design. The chair models shown here are 1/4 scale models of my designs. Parts for all were cut using my CNC. That link is my essay on the value of scale furniture models. I had my furniture design students make 1/4 scale models of their designs for their initial critique.
4D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.