Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you save your swarf for project accents and repairs...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I keep all my teak swarf for repairs on the boat...and about a cup of the latest cuts for around the house (like wood putty)...mix it with glue or epoxy, depending...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I keep a dozen or so plastic nickel coin containers with as many various kinds of sawdust. 2 or 3 of red oak and cherry alone... I find that I have more luck with the heavier sawdust than I do with the powdery dust....always attempt to put together a tube of the wood I"m using at the time of a project...

Attachments

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I keep a dozen or so plastic nickel coin containers with as many various kinds of sawdust. 2 or 3 of red oak and cherry alone... I find that I have more luck with the heavier sawdust than I do with the powdery dust....always attempt to put together a tube of the wood I"m using at the time of a project...
I keep multiple grades in a variety of species in 4oz jars...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Cat litter. I can burn it later instead of dumping it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW...

In woodworking, Swarf as I know it, is/are pieces of very fine to ultra fine (dust) wood, or plastic that are the debris or waste resulting from machining, woodworking, or similar subtractive (material-removing aka sanding) manufacturing processes.....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
FWIW...

In woodworking, Swarf as I know it, is/are pieces of very fine to ultra fine (dust) wood, or plastic that are the debris or waste resulting from machining, woodworking, or similar subtractive (material-removing aka sanding) manufacturing processes.....
Understand that Stick. I don't seem to have any need to use swarf for the purposes suggested. Any dust, be it large or small, ends up outside.

Even when I was building cedarstrip canoes, which left large volumes of very fine dust, I didn't feel the need to keep or use any of it for mixing filler. Something that we may forget is that swarf from sanding may also include some of the abrasive particles from the sandpaper.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something that we may forget is that swarf from sanding may also include some of the abrasive particles from the sandpaper.
which is ingrained into what you are sanding anyways...

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
When starting a new project and using the drum sander I clean the dust and chips out of the separator then run the pieces of each type of wood, saving the dust, clean the separator and run the next type of wood....

I usually end up with enough swarf from each type to last a life time (as long as I don't make too many mistakes).

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
FWIW...

Yeah I know. I was being a smart ass. I do use my planer shavings for cat litter for the 2 that are living in my shop (long story, is happening by order of SWMBO). The definition also applies to the slurry created when sharpening.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and metal polishing/grinding...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Cats in your shop?! Well I guess the good news is no rodents in there...live ones anyway.
A good dog will do the same, ask Stick. My sister had a Dachshund that was a better mouser then my mother's cat. The upside...no litter box.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good dog will do the same, ask Stick. My sister had a Dachshund that was a better mouser then my mother's cat. The upside...no litter box.
friendlier critters too...

Reactions: DaninVan and JFPNCM

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One of the cat's is at least that friendly. I do as much as possible sitting down because of a bad knee and if she wants attention she'll start circling around the chair and if I keep ignoring her she'll start tapping me on my thigh as if to say I'm here and I'm waiting.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not often enough. I have to admit, I forget to keep samples sometimes. Which really sucks because when you need it, you need it, and it has to be close to the color of the wood you are repairing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back in the early 70's, I was lucky to share a space we used for woodworking in what used to be the laundry and storage room. (An apartment complex turned condominium.) It was 20' x 40'. We had our own tools and we shared their use. One guy would chide me about using MDF. I gave him a laff when I took the chips and dust (swarf) from a walnut project and mixed it with glue and formed a 12" square of "walnut MDF" !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts