Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this topic (hardware) doesnt belong here but couldn't find a better forum.

I'm interested in building a desk/table with a hidden shelf (or surface) that can be pushed in or out depending on need. I've seen tables that can be extended like that. Like a keyboard tray under a computer desk, but one that snaps and sits flush with the tabletop when fully extended.

Couldn't find such hardware at any of the regular suspects (rockler, lee valley, woodcraft, etc). The following link illustrates what I'm talking about:

Amish Grainvalley Drawleaf Extension Dining Table

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
I notice that the pictures of that table do not show that the ends pop up and sit flush with the table?

There are version where the table expands and the centre leaf lifts up to sit flush.

These are results for Australia.

·
Super Moderator
510 Posts
Edit: guess what ??
I went and checked the table that my mother left me - it is decades old.
I went and pulled the end out and the extension actually slides out and pops up into place to extend the table - just as James talked about.
I can get photos of the mechanism tomorrow if you like.
(I don't know why I didn't check it on WWT - I was thinking you wanted the standard slide out extensions).
Edit #2: a couple of photos. there are only two metal brackets, the rest is wood slides. for an accomplished metalworker, they can easily be made. I can get more photos sometime tomorrow. it has been in my family for as long as I can remember.
Textile Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain

Musical instrument Wood Piano Natural material Wood stain

Wood Amber Musical instrument Varnish Automotive exterior

Wood Font Commemorative plaque Metal Nameplate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes tge pictures do not show the leveling mechanism but otherwise that wouldn’t function as a table. Here is a better clip:

The term they use is Refectory Table extension.
I know there are people building their propriety system from wood, but was hoping I can buy a metal one. I’ve already discovered one or two, but they are rare:

As for the Australian website - it wouldn’t allow me access from the US. It forces me to the American site…Lol.

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
This is how it works

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Interesting. At first look, it seemed pretty weak, but there are at least two long trusses under the table extension that hold the weight, and the pins along the inside edge is only there to hold the alignment of the extension with the top. Will look forward to seeing your progress. The videos are pretty clear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes tge pictures do not show the leveling mechanism but otherwise that wouldn’t function as a table. Here is a better clip:

The term they use is Refectory Table extension.
I know there are people building their propriety system from wood, but was hoping I can buy a metal one. I’ve already discovered one or two, but they are rare:

As for the Australian website - it wouldn’t allow me access from the US. It forces me to the American site…Lol.
At first I didn’t realize I could access their site but I could. You can click “stay here” which is just above the link to the American site which goes nowhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts