Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a "like new" Craftsman 17480 router. I would like to get a benchtop router table. I am looking at the Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181. Anyone know it is compatible with my router? It is not listed in the compatibility chart, but then only fairly new routers are listed.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The only issue is mounting the router to the insert plate and of the ones that come predrilled they are usually only drilled for one or two routers and you have to drill your own for other makes.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Yep, make your own. Mine is definitely not fancy, but like Vince said, it works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a 40+ year cabinetmaker, I own several brand routers (including the 17480). I routinely switch routers for different jobs, especially when more power or precision is needed, and faced the same problem many years ago. In 1995, I built my own custom router table, using plywood and a melamine top, and included a storage drawer below the router cabinet, along with a side-mounted safety kill-switch. My entire build, including a folding work table for portability, was more than 1/2 the price of retail one. I used excerpts from plans available through many woodworking websites, for ideas and dimensions, and then designed my own table. The purchase of a universal insert table for the top, resolved all compatability issues with any of my routers. I bought an all-in-one Router Plate Kit and all other needed parts, from MLCS Woodworking. They consistently have very reasonable prices and all shipping is free in the U.S. 48. Their website at mlcswoodworking.com has an online catalog and a toll free number for ordering and no charge tech assistance/general router questions. The company still offers the router plate kit and now has an assortment of ready-made table tops, with fences. All you have to do is build the cabinet. No, this isn't a paid-promo. Having been a veteran cabinetmaker for many years, I always enjoy sharing my ups and downs, with hope to assist fellow woodworkers in some way. Best of luck in solving your router table dilemma!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.