Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's birthday is this week and I never know what to get her or make her. Clothes I buy her she won't wear and gift cards never get used. So I decided to make her a table.

It is made of walnut and hard tiger maple. It is 16" high by 16" wide by 30" long. It has about 8-10 coats of Zar polyurethane diluted with 50% mineral spirit applied with the blue paper shop towels. I made a jig for tapering the legs on the tablesaw. The top has 2" wide strips of maple with .20" wide strips of walnut. I chamfered the top and bottom of the legs and along both sides of the top as well as both side of the apron. The top is 5/8" thick. I thought that looked better than 3/4". The apron is held to the legs with 1" pocket screws.

I cut a dado around the inside of the apron and attached pieces of wood to allow the top to expand and contract. I made those so that there is just a tiny amount of pressure on the blocks of wood. To make sure to top stays secure, I put one 3/4" pocket screw through the apron and into the top near the center on both sides. I added a cross piece under the top and put one pocket screw into the top. Where the top meets the legs, I left 3/16" gap for expansion. I put the same number of coats of finish on the bottom and the top since at the time I didn't know which side would be the top.

Before giving her the table I will wax and buff it.

I know you guys are accustom to seeing boxes that I have made, but not this time. I have been cranking out boxes as usual.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My wife's birthday is this week and I never know what to get her or make her. Clothes I buy her she won't wear and gift cards never get used. So I decided to make her a table.

It is made of walnut and hard tiger maple. It is 16" high by 16" wide by 30" long. It has about 8-10 coats of Zar polyurethane diluted with 50% mineral spirit applied with the blue paper shop towels. I made a jig for tapering the legs on the tablesaw. The top has 2" wide strips of maple with .20" wide strips of walnut. I chamfered the top and bottom of the legs and along both sides of the top as well as both side of the apron. The top is 5/8" thick. I thought that looked better than 3/4". The apron is held to the legs with 1" pocket screws.

I cut a dado around the inside of the apron and attached pieces of wood to allow the top to expand and contract. I made those so that there is just a tiny amount of pressure on the blocks of wood. To make sure to top stays secure, I put one 3/4" pocket screw through the apron and into the top near the center on both sides. I added a cross piece under the top and put one pocket screw into the top. Where the top meets the legs, I left 3/16" gap for expansion. I put the same number of coats of finish on the bottom and the top since at the time I didn't know which side would be the top.

I know you guys are accustom to seeing boxes that I have made, but not this time. I have been cranking out boxes as usual.

Malcolm / Kentucky USA
Great job Malcolm. Did you have to stain the walnut? I bought some walnut and it had been steamed ( never again). The maple is beautiful. Where do you buy such beautiful wood? As always I enjoy looking at your projects.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
:) Malcom
Very nice the contrast is gorgeous.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is gorgeous...

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting quality wood is a hard job. I never stain any wood. The walnut is air dried and came that way. A couple years ago I bought two truck loads from a fellow in Gnaw Bone, Indiana. The tiger maple is very hard to get. I found some several years ago from a place called Tiny Timbers in Deputy, IN, but can't get any more there. I believe I got this from a place in southern Indiana called Wide and Long Lumber Company.

As far as the design...A friend sent me a photo of a table he made, but he had the top glued and screwed to the apron which I think will split in the future. He didn't put contrasting strips instead he drilled hole in the ends of the maple to install a screw into the end of each board then put a walnut plug. The boards for the top were 3/4" thick which just looked to heavy for a small table. My table the top is 5/8" thick. His table looked okay, but it wasn't for me. He has since looked at my table and said he likes it. Shaw! Image that!

As far as the walnut strips, I kept planing them thinner until I got something that I liked. I didn't want something that took away from the maple. I got the walnut strips to around .20" and decided to go with it. I may be making several more tables in the near future - different heights, lengths and widths. I'll give this table to my wife on Friday for her birthday. Had several people said they would like to have it. Malcolm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Outstanding.When I scrolled down & the table appeared I said out loud "wow".I'm going to try & make my lovely wife a table just like yours so I hope you don't mind some copying.It is work of art Malcolm.JJ

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Nice table. Even nicer if your wife likes it. I get around people not liking my gifts by just giving cash, green goes with anything, and that way they can get something I know they will like.

Wish I'd gotten money for gifts. All my life I got things I didn't like. Just a few years ago my mother was still buying me stuff like that, underwear the wrong size and not even the type I wear. One year she even bought me a pair of pants that came up to my armpits, I thought those were only in cartoons, but apparently they actually make pants like that. She was disappointed when I refused to wear them. Money is always the perfect gift.

·
Registered
Paul
2,099 Posts
Stunning table, Malcolm. At first glance, I thought the top maple was spaced slats. When I realized that the 'spaces' were walnut, I was even more impressed. Like the volume on a rock music amplifier goes up to eleven... you've scored eleven out of ten!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Malcolm / Kentucky USA
Very nice Malcom. When I saw the title of the post I’ll admit I originally thought you had made a router table for your wife.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.