Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a 3 hp milwaukee router and Im going to build a table for it ive been reading about all this setup. Do i need a plate or can not cut a hole in the bottom of the table to mount it. Or if i do alum to phenolic?

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
You can mount your router directly to a table top but there are advantages to using a mounting plate; First and foremost is the ease of making adjustments. By lifting your router out of the table it is much easier to use wrenches for changing bits and eyeball adjustments in depth. Another consideration is portability. Some members use a large table at home and have a smaller table for use at jobsites. Plate mounting means you just drop the plate/router into position and you are ready to run. Some plates have removeable rings for different opening sizes so your work is supported properly and yet have clearance when using larger bits. Most mounting plates also allow you to use guide bushings and starter or safety pins for following a template. Aluminum or phenolic are both fine as long as they are flat.(The exception to this rule is the Rousseau mounting plate)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Just another thing to consider ... with a plate you'll probably have more height adjustment available ... most plates will be thinner than your table top will be in the mounting area.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Butcher of Wood

Take the time to view a RWS on the NET.
You will see why it's best to mount the router to a base plate.
Bob & Rick have it down right...Bob is the Pro. with routers and will show you how to use the router in many,many ways.
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com/

You can read many books on the router table BUT the RWS show is the best show and tell you will find.
PLUS it's FREE and that's hard to beat now days.

Bj :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts