Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached depicts the router / planer table that is now under construction, Any comments (quickly) as to viability will be appreciated.

Happy new year to all,

Tom 17979

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
That looks like it will make a great work station. Will the planner sit on top or in the pass through area? If it in the pass through then will you also be able to use it as a work table when the router and fence are not in service?

What I built is not nearly as nice and as big as that is it's only 32"X45" and only houses my router. Now I like the idea of combining work stations, especially if you have a smaller shop like I will when I move from my up stairs to the down stairs garage.

I was wondering if you made it a little shorter could us also use it as a run out table for your table saw or do you already have some thing for that purpose? I only ask because mine worked out for that purpose, well at least I say it does but I have yet to have them both is the same place together to match it up. If you want to check out what I built, from parts on hand mostly, you can see it in my gallery. I will look forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jerry,

The new table will be somewhat larger than what I currently have. More room is needed for the planer (on top). The reason for the pass through is so I don't have to carry larger stock back and forth for multiple passes, just slide it through to the infeed end. The top will be the sam height, and also be within a few feet of the side of the table saw to support wide stock when cutting (router down of course).

The picture is of the base next to my old table.

Happy new year to you and family from us also.

Regards, Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New table progress - more to follow. The wife, bless her, loves to paint, so am waiting for her. I won't rush her because I don't wanrt to paint!

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Tom,

You are really moving along on that project. Can't wait to see how it works out when you are finished. Please keep the pictures coming and thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Looking good, Tom. I notice the switch you have mounted looks like a standard light switch. If so, I hope it is rated for at least 15A and it would be better if rated for 20A, otherwise it won't last long If you are using a 2 1/2 or 3hp router on the table. Most of the larger routers are rated at 15A but they actually peak more than that on the initial surge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point George,

Am not much of an electrical person. Used to having a EE provide that function. Will check it out.

Almost bought a power switch at Rockler yesterday, maybe I should have.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Guys

I use a dead man floor switch if anyone is in the shop with me..I just slip my foot off the switch and all the power is dead for that tool plus a main power switch , I also use one on the scroll saw and the band saw ...:) the one for the scroll saw is a great add on item , many times you need to stop and move things around just a little bit..

=====

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't like the dead man, I wiggle around to much and have stopped the machine accidentally in really bad spots.

I do have the foot switch hooked up to 4 tools and the others all have the switch for the "hip bump".

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Nick

hahahahahaha I don't have big hips but I do have big feet hahahahahaha

===

I don't like the dead man, I wiggle around to much and have stopped the machine accidentally in really bad spots.

I do have the foot switch hooked up to 4 tools and the others all have the switch for the "hip bump".

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
All my tools are on casters and last time I did the "hip bump" thing, my machine ended up at the back of the shop :eek:

And yes, I do weigh a little more than a "skinny" 188 :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I haven't seen the 150lb part of the scale for quite some time either....but back to your question about the table. I saw in Norm Abrams video where he talked about the bit drawers on his original model not being tall enough to hold some of the taller router bits. Just an observation from his video.

Disclaimer; I am a complete newb to woodworking so any advice I offer should be taken knowing that fact.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't move fast enough (artifical hips and knees) for a "hip bump", but can still hit a good whack with the hands. That big paddle on the switch at Rockler looks interesting!Thanks for the inputs to all!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looking good. Great idea. Dust control also?

I'm afraid to picture you guys , 4 foot switches & 3 hip switches. What tunes do you play while doing all this dancing, ROCK??? :) LOL

Do they make a double pump switch,
click it & it's "ON", click it again & it's "OFF".
(Then you'd have to dance to RAP :) )

A soft start on the new routers usually helps the startup current stay pretty low.
I'd use 20 amp switches & outlets regardless, they last longer. The 15 amp house outlets don't make good contact over time.
Most shops are wired with #12 wire & on 20 amp breakers. Wired buddy's shop (3/4 conduit) with #12 stranded THHN, good for 25 Amps. Even if not on a 20 circuit the 20 Amp sw & outlet are better. (New house wiring code is #14 wire & can only handle 15 Amps, cheaper, *! so watch that your Vacuum & tool are on different circuits if in the garage)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts