Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!, started getting into woodworking not long ago, and want to use my plunge router as a table router.

the problem I'm finding is that most plates I see on amazon aren't wide enough, or don't have measurements for their hole distance, so if anyone knows of a brand that is compatible I would be really thankful.

and in the case I end up having to modify a table, my question would be, how thick should the slot be, and what kind of screws should I use to hold the router in place.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Does your base come off? If so take it off and use the screws to attach it to whatever plate you get. You will have to drill the plate and use a countersink on the top, but that is to be expected.

·
Registered
21,693 Posts
Use the plastic base to lay out your holes. Don't countersink. Drill a hole a little wider than the screws that hold your base in place, then drill a second hole on top of that so you have a stepped hole as per the drawing. The larger hole should be larger than the head of the screw. This allows a little wiggle room in case your holes are not perfect. Use a drill press for this, you can't hand hold a drill with that accuracy.

This will allow you to use any blank mounting plate, although I strongly suggest you use an aluminum plate. I have a Triton 3.25 hp, so I choose a Woodpecker brand plate which is a little oversized, but it's almost 3/8ths inch thick (9.5mm), so it could support a tank. Here's a pix. I also like the twist lock inserts (red), Older types use 3 easily lost screws to hold the insert in place.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Tom, I have to disagree with the double hole drilling. Unless the plate is really thick you will be taking off a considerable amount of material and weakening the plate, if the hole doesn't have a flat bottom then even more material is taken off. Plus trying to do this with aluminum and to get a flat hole makes it even more difficult. The plate I use is a Rousseau and it's only 3/8" thick. It is however plenty strong enough to hang a 3 1/2 hp Hitachi MV12, I also see that Amazon has a used, like new MLCS 9938 plate for $22.60 with free shipping. That would be my first choice.

Rousseau 3509 9-Inch x 12-Inch x 3/8-Inch Deluxe Router Base Plate - Router Tables - Amazon.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the same vein, what would be good method If I opted to mount it on wood?, because I have a 15mm MDF sheet and some decent quality 18mm plywood, would the MDF hold it well enough?, and in such case should I use longer screws to preserve part of the thickness of it?

I'm weighing my options since I don't have a lot of money and shipping alone is almost the same price as the plates in question if I were to buy on amazon (haven't found decent alternatives in the local market)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The thicker you go the longer your bits need to be. Since bits are pretty short you would occasionally need an extender. The other thing would be the hole size in the middle. You want to keep that as small as the bit will allow. You could get around that by making several plates. Each with a hole a little larger than the bit. As far as the screws holding that shouldn't be an issue. You would be using machine screws and they would be going into the router where your base is attached but they will need a washer on top so you will have to drill a hole that the washer can sit in. But be careful that you don't take a lot of wood off. You will be removing the base that comes with the router. As far as the plunge router remove the springs to make it easier to adjust. Be prepared to leave the router permanently mounted. You will find that it is safer and easier to use on a table.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.