Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent post by Barb I saw the progress that she and Ken are getting in their deck construction. In the post I saw a table with an umbrella at the center. That made me remember an incident during my last visit to my daughter´s home in Goshen, Indiana.
In the porch there was a table like Barb´s with two cristal shelve and the above mentioned umbrella. One day, just at noon, a strong wind lifted up the umbrella which did drag the table and broke the cristals and put the table frame near the shed, causing a messof broken glasses in the porch. Fortunatelly, we all were taking the lunch and no injuries were produced. After clean the porch, keeping my granddaughters away, I decided to repair the table.

The pictures tell the story.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Man, you're good, Alexis! I wouldn't even havethought of vinyl tile.
That table was scrap for most of us; we have no clue what scrounging and restoration is all about. :)
My hat's off to you, Maestro; you set a new benchmark for us all.
I hope all is well with you and your Family in Venezuela, the news we're hearing just keeps getting worse.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the comments, Dan.
Certainly the neighbor told the same about the table. He saw the situation from his window and offered his help with shovels and brooms to clean the mess. You know that I try to get advantage of everything I have at hand and having any kind of materials and choices like you have there I did not waste the opportunity to save the table. I was surprised by the price that the clerk gaveto me for the plywood. Now I have a set of tools in USA to make small repairs during my visits. As a learnt lesson, the umbrella is kept in the shed when not in use.
Sadly our country situation is getting worse. That´s all I can say to keep the forum policy.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
An excellent job Alexis. We also had to learn to put the umbrella away. Even folded up isn’t always enough.

I’m sorry to hear the situation at home is getting worse. I didn’t think things could get much worse.

Reactions: papasombre

·
Registered
966 Posts
Looks fantastic Alexis,

I have an outdoor coffee table that the tempered glass just shattered last summer with nothing touching it. It scared me when it happened and I still don't know why. I was thinking of doing a similar repair but using ceramic tile for weather resistance. They sell tiles sometimes at 99cents each when on sale and I figured I only need about 8 12 x 12s to cover the top and I also have a wet tile saw to trim the tiles because it is not a rectangle it has some curves.

Dan

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Another amazing project, Alexis. Your problem solving and inventive skills are amazing.

Reactions: papasombre

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
I've used linoleum for counter tops in the past. It isn't really robust enough for hard use, but for light duty, it works nicely, and isn't nearly as heavy as tile. The variety of colors and design is amazing. I'd always want to tuck the edges under some sort of trim because the edges are particularly susceptible to damage and tearng.

The political rules are generally suspended on the Totally Random Chat thread, but keep it polite. Hope the mods remember that. Generally though, it's more personal chat. https://www.routerforums.com/lobby/66650-totally-random-chat-thread.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.