Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with the PC plunge base on a router table and have found thru the the 'university of hard knocks' that the standard base raises and lowers smoother than the plunge base on a table. Also it is easier to change router motors.... Before you invest in a plunge router dedicated to the table try using the standard base....

For off table routing, I still prefer the plunge router base or the D-handkle

Also try not to drop the 1/8th inch brass measuring bar into the router.... I still havnt been able to get it out - and naturally it is my best motor (i.e. has speed control) Hummmm.... any suggestions how to get this little brass bar out??????

cheers

ken

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ken

Sounds like it's time to go fishing, get a coat hanger or some welding rod and get some 3M weather strip out of the tool box ,the yellow goo stuff, put it on the end on the rod wait for about 4 to 5 mins. until it gets tackey then go fishing.

With some luck you will get a bite and you can pull it up and out with care.

Good Luck

Bj :)

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Ken, the usual reasons for mounting a plunge router into the table is that the router is strictly a plunge unit or it is all you have. Other than this we always suggest using the fixed base in a table.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While I can't provide any ideas for the fishing expedition for the brass bar :D, My curiousity has beeen piqued by Mikes' statement, so I have to ask, why is a fixed base router recommened over a plunge router for table use?

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hi Dan, many people use a big plunge router in the router table.. including Bob and Rick. If I was installing on of the 2 HP routers that come with a plunge and fixed base, it's best to use the fixed base for the router table. The way the motors pop in and out it's easy to adjust the height on most of these and leaves the plunge base for hand operations when you need the plunge.

There are also alot of lifts made these days to use these routers and some of the high hp models.

When you get to a lot of the high HP many of these or even most of these will be plunge routers and for many ops you need a 3 HP router. Today's big routers work well in router tables and there are so many top height raising tools used any more. I have a DW 625 mounted in my table and have an after market raising knob that makes it pretty quick. Most of these big routers it's best if you remove the springs. It's fine to use a plunge router of this nature in a router table.

Corey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.