Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on you tube and thought it might have potential.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
57 Posts
just watched it and wonder does it do anything that the existing saw cut in the sled does not?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just watched and wondered if he could have drawn the video out any longer. I do like the idea but don't know if it is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Next time I watch it I'll set the alarm...it was painful to watch it all the way through. I wanted to take the screwdriver out of his hand at the end when he was aligning the laser...

Having said that, and wondering the same as Roger, I can see it being useful as it places the laser on the top of the cut where it is sometimes a visual challenge, for example, a bevel cut where the mark needs to be on the top as opposed to the side where the sled slot clearly marks the cut. In the beginning of the video it shows this more positive aspect. Of course it does not allow for angling the blade so the piece would need to be angled.

I don't like the mounting position however. I would mount it lower and have it going through a hole in the fence. It sure would make the sled easier to stow away. And I would hate to have to adjust it each time I needed the sled. I would mount it so that it registers the laser through the slot with the batteries mounted elsewhere.

All in all I would give it a 8/10 for idea, 3/10 for execution (overall), 1/10 for video production...10/10 for beddy-bye music. I did like the pivot he made for the alignment block (9/10)

I'm thinking this might be a good source for a contest...who does the best job of making it more "appealing"...

Thanks, Charles...it'll give me something to think about today (I'm at work again/still) :)

Reactions: JFPNCM and Stick486

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
Didn't watch the whole video. I think too gimmicky for me, and I definitely hate videos with no explanation of how and why, and I didn't hear a word out of that guy. Usually difficult to follow what's going on with no explanation.

Reactions: UlrichJ

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
just watched it and wonder does it do anything that the existing saw cut in the sled does not?
Only in rare instances Roger. The cut through the base is normally enough on this type sled and my one runner sled uses the edge of the cut but if you couldn't register the mark against those it might have some application. What impressed me was repurposing the lasers off old tools the most, I hadn't thought of that. I can see the idea being useful on a drill press where you use 2 of the lasers and form crosshairs. I also have an over the saw blade dust collection plan in mind and it would be easy to add a laser to that to help with lining up rip cuts at times.

Lots of times it isn't the original idea that is useful, it's the principles used that can be applied to other tasks that wind up being useful.

Nick I have to agree with your assessment of the video. It could have been easily only 1/2 as long which would have made it more interesting.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have a laser line generator for my table saw that I bought about 10 years ago from Woodline.com. It mounts on the ceiling above the table saw and runs either on penlight batteries or a wall wort type power supply. Mine is plugged into a ceiling outlet nearby. It also came with a thick one button credit card sized remote that I have Velcro attached to my table saw fence, so I can easily turn it on and off without climbing.. I don't use it so much for cutting accuracy, but it's a nice safety feature to have when the blade is not cutting through the top surface of the work or just barely so. The red line begins way before the fence and front of the saw, so it also helps to line up the cut when doing very long saw cuts. The main reason why I like it is that it shows the cut line on top of anything that I'm passing over the blade, so if there is ever a red line on my fingers or any part of my body I'm not where I should be.

Charley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts