Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could move my old table saw around at will with no problem to use it and then slide it back out of the way. Recently I was very fortunate to obtain a very large, very heavy table saw from one of the members here. I am looking for mobility solutions. It's base is the typical fixed leg contractor's saw, 10 inch. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Dave, I like my HTC mobile bases. They are inexpensive and work well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike, Thanks for the suggestion of the HTC base. One thing I notice about these bases, and all platform type units for that matter, is that getting the table saw up and on them would take some doing....I do like the fact that they don't raise the working height by much. I am looking at the HTC2000 that adjusts up to 36" x 36". I should have had this figured out before I put the saw back together.....:sad:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You Earl and Russ, I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dave I also use the HTC 2000 under my old Grizzly saw. My saw is pretty heavy with the cast iron wings but my son and a friend lifted it while I slid the base under it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dave, I'm not sure how big the footprint of your saw is or how heavy it is but if you're interested in the Shop Fox heavy duty base (holds 700 Lbs, go from roughly 20"x20" to almost 30"x30") Grizzly has it on sale for under $60. D2057A Heavy-Duty Mobile Base. I do not have this base but i'm considering it for a band saw.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You Dick for your input.

Barry, that is certainly worth and look and consideration. Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Mike, Thanks for the suggestion of the HTC base. One thing I notice about these bases, and all platform type units for that matter, is that getting the table saw up and on them would take some doing....I do like the fact that they don't raise the working height by much. I am looking at the HTC2000 that adjusts up to 36" x 36". I should have had this figured out before I put the saw back together.....:sad:
I have the Grizzly D2057A and the directions show how to build the stand underneath the saw and you lift on side at a time as you build it. So no lifting the saw up all at once. You could use their directions on any type of mobile base, just download the instructions from Grizzly's WEB Site.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
628 Posts
One method to lift the saw without help would be to erect pipe staging around the saw and place a 6"x6" lintel across the top. Attach a block and tackle, hoist, come-along or a Tirfor® to the lintel and directly over the saw. Now affix a sling on to the saw and attach to the lifting mechanism. Lift the saw until you can place the movable base under the saw, lower saw and you did it with no help.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You Bruce, that is great information...and welcome to the forum! I still like the idea of the Wood River style of casters that just bolt on to the legs and when not in use, the saw sits on it's own legs. I'm trying to get my saw mobile without disassembling it again, the information from Bruce would seem to be very handy and would allow me to do that. Another thing I am thinking about is just putting locking, swivel casters on each leg of the stand...but again I'd be back to taking the saw apart to install them. :confused:
Thanks again for all the information.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had a Craftsman Tablesaw a while back and it was the contractor style.
I had a wheel attached to each leg that worked independently.
The saw was solidly on its own legs when in use and there was no change in operating height.
I don't know if that option is available to you or not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Bill, that sounds like the Wood River style of caster and I am still leaning toward that solution. Is this something like what you are talking about?

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
I built a table saw cabinet with some help from 'others' on the forum and using my cache of surplus cabinet grade 3/4" ply. This is the link with a few photos: http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/38543-mobile-base-plans-cabinet-3.html Photos on Post 25

The table is quite big, but works very nicely for my needs.

Additionally, I have a radial arm saw fitted with the retractable casters - this is shown on Post 27 of the same thread as above. These have worked well though one tends to go 'over center' occasionally, but is fairly easy to return to normal, usually with a well place stomp. If you use these casters, you might be lucky as I was and catch a ten dollar/set off sale which occurs a couple times a year(these casters only work on angled legs).

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just checked the price on the HTC 2000 it is $65 on Amazon, and is rated at 500#. Very few saws weigh that much. It is also US made (Ithink) and has a lifetime warantee. It only raises the saw about 3/4". and mine is very stable. We had to readjust the frame and we did that by lifting one side at a time. I think it could be assembled that way. Actually if you lift just one side by the rails it really doesn't seem that heavy, even for a crippled up old man like me. When we put the wheels down we do lift on the saw a little, which does help when lowering the wheels. We actually move the saw much more often than I ever thought we would.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Bill, that sounds like the Wood River style of caster and I am still leaning toward that solution. Is this something like what you are talking about?
It was attached in a similar fashion but the top of my casters were threaded bolts with a "T" handle to turn. I could turn them down as I liked to even out the saw on uneven floors to roll it around. That was quite a few years ago and technology has improved since then, along with prices.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bill,
I have seen the ones like you describe and they also seem like a pretty good solution. I realize most folks here like the platform or frame style, but I just can't get enthused about them. I think at least for my application, I'm going with the Wood River leg mounted style of caster. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject and hope that whatever everyone else is using continues to work well for them. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I ordered them yesterday and they were delivered today before noon. I think Woodcraft deserves an official pat on the back for such prompt service and delivery. Seems like just the clunkers get the press and it's nice to be able to point out somebody that's done a good job for a change. I had hoped these would do the job and I am very pleased with them. Believe it or not, being able to move something like a table saw 2 or 3 feet in any direction makes a huge difference when the building it's in is only 10 x 14.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and comments, I appreciate it. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dave, Quick question. With that type of caster how do you level the machine if your floor is not quite level? This might be an option for my new bandsaw.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts