Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in France with a decent enough workshop full of stuff I brought over from england and bought from rockler.
I have a lot of work here for making shutters which I make the classic french way with tongue and grooved boards with a bead at the join. Thing is I make a lot of these and currently buy the board rady made. I have thought about tooling up my router table with appropriate cutter but was wondering if a molding head in my startrite 10" table saw would be better. It is much more powerful than the router so could cope with more board feet. I need to do about 400 board feet at a time. I have seen the sears craftsmen range and would like to know if anyone has any thoughts

Cheers

Pete.

PS. Be careful. you only have 10 fingers, 2 eyes and ONE chance to get it right!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you mean something like this: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00903214000 Then I would have to say avoid it. I have one and this one is the replacement and I do not use it. The first one I bought many years ago and while using it on a Radial Arm saw, there was an almost accident. There was a defect in the piece of wood, which vitually exploded. It bent the slot that held one of the knives in and it came very close to coming out.

I did get a replacement molding head, but it's been in the box and unused since that day.

Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have never used a moulding head for a TS. If i was doing production type work i would buy a good quaility set of router bits and used a 3 1/4 hp router, or better yet buy a good used shaper., And if you have any extra money buy a power feeder.
I think your would get a better and cleaner cut using proper cutters.

Hickory

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i have the 3 1/4 horse router with a woodpecker unilift, and have found a good, reasonably priced supplier in Infinity tools for the bits, see www.infinitytools.com so i will definitely avoid the shaper head.
I suppose if i get enough work then the shaper is the way forward. I will wait and save my money.....Thanks

Just one question.......Hickory, what are you doing to that cat??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.