Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just another boring build thread ... this one is for a sled for my table saw.

I watched the "woodworking for mere mortals" sled video, and thought, "I can make one of those". Then I watched a "5 cuts to a perfect sled" video, and thought, "wow, that is something I should do when I make my sled".

So I looked around the garage and found a piece of 3/4" BC ply that was a good size and got to work. I ground off the tabs of my saw's miter tracks, and ripped a couple of 5/8" pieces for the runners and glued them on the bottom.

The "5 cuts" guy made his front face 1 1/2" thick, so I cut two 3" wide pieces to glue together for that. I found another shorter piece of 3/4" ply scrap I could used for the back face. The "mere mortals" guy put a t-track in his, so I put a t-track in mine. I glued the back support down, and put one screw in each end the front face.

That is where I am now: ready to make my 5 cuts and tweak the front face to make it perpendicular.

You will notice that the front face is not flush against the edge of the slde: that is because my square showed that this orientation for the face is closer to 90 than having it flush against the edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Good job Chris. I'm sure you'll like that and be getting some good use out of it.

The first thing you might find that will help with a sled that size on a table that size is some outfeed support. Most tables have the blade somewhat to the rear of the table. That makes for the back of the sled mostly off the table as you finish your cut.

I use a lot of sleds. To the point to where I rarely use my rip fence.

·
Official Greeter
18,909 Posts
Once it is finished, Chris, you will wonder how you could do wood work without it.

The only down side is replacing the splitter and guard when you want to rip on the table saw.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another reference for a crosscut sled build.

How to Make a Cross-Cut Sled | The Wood Whisperer

GCG
This guy's video is just like the "5 cuts" guy's ... thanks!

the sled I am making is much smaller than many the ones these guys show ... my saw is also much smaller. it only has 12" on either side of the blade., and is only 17" front to back.

also, i used pine for the runners, :bad:

version 2 (whenever i get around to making another one) will be larger and have hardwood runners.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You're right tablesaw sleds are one of the best jig .
You will wonder how you got along without one in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Chris you will find using a softer wood like pine will wear and you may need to replace them in the future depending on how much you use your sled. I have found the hardwood runners work better and with a little application of Paste wax glide very nicely giving you a smooth operating guide.

I need to make a new sled and one big enough to make Cross Grain cutting boards as shown on the Wood Whisper. With my sled I will incoporate the Greg T-Track with flip stop for repetive cuts. I have the Greg at my mitre station and can use the stop at both locations if nee be so the added cost of the T-Track should make it a good option.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the thing about me ... ALL the wood I have is either pine or plywood. I MIGHT have one piece of oak somewhere ... think I could locate that if someone was holding a gun to my head?

The piece of ply I had lying around was 24"x24", so after cutting the pieces for the fences, it was 18x24. After putting the fences on there, there is about 15" of space between the fences.

So this sled is definately not as good or as big as it could be, but it will no doubt be better than what I am doing currently.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Baby steps lol. Rome was not built in a day. Everyone has different uses and as long as it suits you that is all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the 5 cut method tonight, and it was pretty close. I adjusted the fence and locked it down. Phew, that's done.

Now I really need to clean up the shop!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Planning to build a sled but undecided as to what is the best size. I like the Kreg sled with one runner and sliding side to allow for different blade thickness (dados). Has anyone made one?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think 2 runners are needed to get the possible accuracy out of a sled.
Otherwise, it might not be better then just using the miter, or worse from the weight.
Sleds are so easy to make, constucting one just for dado work seems good to me-one of my next projects.

Don

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hello Airman.. I built the sled below several years back intending to cover just about all my bases. The sled allows for about 22"s depth and is approx. 37"s or so wide. The brown streak down the middle is actually an insert. I can change out the insert for zero clearance as needed. Thin kerf, reg. kerf etc., including dado's. since building it though, I've never had a need to do dado work off of the sled. For that i've decided the TS fence is just fine. If you do go for it, consider the size of the dado blade you'll use and place that against the base for the sled. The thickness of the base takes away immediately from the depth of cut you'll have available with the dado...

HTH

bill

Planning to build a sled but undecided as to what is the best size. I like the Kreg sled with one runner and sliding side to allow for different blade thickness (dados). Has anyone made one?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Don. I guess it's best not to compromise accuracy seeing that it is one of the major goals. Best not to build in too many options

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bill that's not a sled, it's a work of art. You've put a lot of thought and attention to detail into it. Great job. That sounds like the right size for me as well.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If you do go for it, consider the size of the dado blade you'll use and place that against the base for the sled. The thickness of the base takes away immediately from the depth of cut you'll have available with the dado...

bill
Bill,

Always love the pictures of your sled and jigs. Great craftmanship!!! Would love to see a detail on the replaceable insert.

One note of your comment above. True, but just adding a persective to ponder:

"Your" pictured saw has a depth of cut of 3.25" with a 10" blade. With an 8" dado, that puts it at 2.25". Say you use 3/4" for the base... (I know that's pretty thick, but an extreme example.) That puts the depth of cut at 1.5". 75-80% of dado cuts are less than 3/8". Even if using a 6" dado with the above saw and sled, your depth of cut would be around 1/2".

Just a thought that it might not be that bad... as long a you know where those limits are. Most my sled bases are 3/8" to 1/2", depending on it's intended use.

For dado's, I built this one with a 1/2" base:
http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/403/precisioncrosscutsled.pdf

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just another boring build thread ... this one is for a sled for my table saw.

I watched the "woodworking for mere mortals" sled video, and thought, "I can make one of those". Then I watched a "5 cuts to a perfect sled" video, and thought, "wow, that is something I should do when I make my sled".

So I looked around the garage and found a piece of 3/4" BC ply that was a good size and got to work. I ground off the tabs of my saw's miter tracks, and ripped a couple of 5/8" pieces for the runners and glued them on the bottom.

The "5 cuts" guy made his front face 1 1/2" thick, so I cut two 3" wide pieces to glue together for that. I found another shorter piece of 3/4" ply scrap I could used for the back face. The "mere mortals" guy put a t-track in his, so I put a t-track in mine. I glued the back support down, and put one screw in each end the front face.

That is where I am now: ready to make my 5 cuts and tweak the front face to make it perpendicular.

You will notice that the front face is not flush against the edge of the slde: that is because my square showed that this orientation for the face is closer to 90 than having it flush against the edge.
Good Morning Chris, and Happy New Year, LOL, I've yet to find a boring post with this forum. It's always giving me new ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Here is another cross cut sled you may want to consider. Airman you will find many different variations and this is due in part to what you intend to use it for. When I rebuild mine I will make it big enough to handle what I do most commonly.

Good luck with the build and post some pictures so we can see how you made out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts