Router Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Dave

If I can add one more thing it excels at is repetitive cuts. If your working on a project like kitchen cabinets and need to cut rails and stiles to a certain length , you can very quickly and easily do this with the aid of a stop block and "C" clamp.

My old TS sled needs an upgrade and I plan on making another one a bit bigger and one that allows me to do anlge cuts as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like I have one more tool update coming - repeatability is for sure a necessity. Looks like the Fine Woodworking versions (they have a big and a small one) will be my guide since it uses two miter slides. Looks like I need to pick up some oak for my kitchen project and one more 'stick' for the miter slots wont even dent my billfold any more at this point:sarcastic:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My old TS sled needs an upgrade and I plan on making another one a bit bigger and one that allows me to do anlge cuts as well.
I was thinking of mentioning ___ while this thread was going on, but refrained. I don't know why, just thought it would distract from.

On angled cuts and miters in a sled, I tend to prefer a narrower sled... that way the work piece can extend past the rear fence. For miters I tend to use a sled with a full front fence but just a short narrow fence in the rear.

If you take a "square" cut piece and cut it in half, so you have a 90 and two 45's, put the long side against the rear fence with the leading angle bisecting the kerf. That way, when you put work on each side of that new miter fence, you are making the same cut on each side of your miter, getting a perfect easy matching miter for frames to end up square.

I also have precut blocks cut for miters to create pentagons, hexagons and octagons.

I tried using one of my monster sized sleds for miters- putting on miter guided blocks. A full rear fence always restricted work pieces to a size that would fit within the sled. I have sleds with slots, so I could angle auxillery fences for a miter. It works, but takes time and effort to get them set. Still the same limitations with a full rear fence. The pre-cut mitered blocks work out a lot faster, easier and more accurate.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts