Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst searching for something else, I came across these videos. Paolini has written some very interesting articles, including projects, for Fine Woodworking.

Since Saw Stop is the underwriter for the videos, he utilizes a Saw Stop, but his approach could be adapted to probably any table saw. Some my finds the videos helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9645769789EB46E

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Whilst searching for something else, I came across these videos. Paolini has written some very interesting articles, including projects, for Fine Woodworking.

Since Saw Stop is the underwriter for the videos, he utilizes a Saw Stop, but his approach could be adapted to probably any table saw. Some my finds the videos helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA9645769789EB46E
Good stuff thanks for posting ,Ray

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
He has another good video of TS Sled building for all those building TS sleds, Makes it look as easy as it is.

I wonder why he has such long slide slots in his out feed table?

Herb
gives him a place the sled so that it is out of the way and doesn't have to keep taking it off the saw and putting it back on...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Ray! Very useful information.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
In his video about using the TS for resawing, I couldn't help noticing how badly the resaw burned the wood...I'm guessing he's got something set wrong...? Can't believe that's normal...if it is, mine is out of alignment :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In his video about using the TS for resawing, I couldn't help noticing how badly the resaw burned the wood...I'm guessing he's got something set wrong...? Can't believe that's normal...if it is, mine is out of alignment :)
I saw that too. He says he's using a rip blade but it looks more like a general purpose blade - 40T. I'd use 24T or even 20T. That's a lot of contact area even for a rip blade.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Interesting videos. Saved it for future reference. I was watching the video on resawing. If you look in the background, it looks like there is another TS in the background behind his left side- silver top and red insert. I'm envious for the size of the shop. My shop would be taken up by the TS setup alone.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I saw that too. He says he's using a rip blade but it looks more like a general purpose blade - 40T. I'd use 24T or even 20T. That's a lot of contact area even for a rip blade.
I counted 11 teeth in the cut,and it was 1/3 of the diam. of the blade.

I gave up resawing on the TS years ago in preference to the Band saw. the band saw is twice as fast and a lot less waste in the form of sawdust.
I am aware that he is pushing that brand of saw and I have seen better cuts on lesser saws.

Herb

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I viewed the resawing video and noticed that the blade is a Saw Stop blade. Went to the Saw Stop web site and noticed that the gold colored blades are either a 40 or 80 tooth blade configuration. Believe that even with only 40 teeth in the work, it was the wrong blade for resawing. Probably about a 20 tooth blade would be better and virtually eliminate the burning.

In any case, it is hard to beat the proper blade in a well tuned band saw for resawing.

A poster mentioned about the size of his shop and the two table saws. Paolini is a high end cabinetmaker and offers classes in his NC shop.
Gregory Paolini Design LLC

·
Registered
44 Posts
On the resawing video, I'm curious as to why he used a second feather board, placed behind the blade. Unless the riving knife is perfectly aligned, and exactly the same width as the blade, it seems to me to be an invitation for kickback. It looks to me that the two pieces are actually pinching together behind the cut.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
too many teeth, wrong blade, wood pinch, wood rotation and dull/pitchy blades do that...

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Interesting videos. Saved it for future reference. I was watching the video on resawing. If you look in the background, it looks like there is another TS in the background behind his left side- silver top and red insert. I'm envious for the size of the shop. My shop would be taken up by the TS setup alone.
If you watch some of his other videos you'll see he has two table saws, back to back, with an outfeed table between them.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
That he so casually displayed the cut with such obvious problems makes me think it routinely comes out that way...

Reactions: cocobolo1

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
That he so casually displayed the cut with such obvious problems makes me think it routinely comes out that way...
some species seem to burn just because you showed them the TS...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
cherry and sugar maple come to mind.............sometimes you just can't avoid it

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I counted 11 teeth in the cut,and it was 1/3 of the diam. of the blade.

I gave up resawing on the TS years ago in preference to the Band saw. the band saw is twice as fast and a lot less waste in the form of sawdust.
I am aware that he is pushing that brand of saw and I have seen better cuts on lesser saws.

Herb
Not to mention that there is a limit on how wide a piece of wood you can rip on the table saw.

Those wide carbide teeth on that 40 tooth blade take out an awful lot of wood. I was impressed by the machine apparently not slowing down when he made the cut though. Plenty of power there.

But that burned wood! Ouch!

Then he says that the book match is perfect??? That cannot be with 1/8"+ of wood being removed. Close but no cigar. You need a veneer cutting machine to get perfect book matches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts