Router Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me, but I am sure somebody already explained various reasons for just where on a table saw wing a router should be located. In my case my table saw fence can go end to end to the very edge of the router table wing and well past the saw blade direction. Therefore the 27” X 18” wing does not need to be limited to dead center in that wing. Can somebody point me to a previous discussion or give sound advice. My brain can see several different reasons why somebody might think off center in different directions might have merit.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
If i Agreed With You...

Hey, Dave; there's two schools of thought here on that. One (mine) says it doesn't belong on the TS as it ties up both the fence and the TS. You've just set up the router for a precise operation and you discover that you need to run a ply wood panel through the saw.
The other school can speak for themselves... >:)

·
Registered
524 Posts
In my case the router does belong on the table saw. It saves me space.

If I set up the router for a precise operation and discover that I need to run a ply wood panel through the saw I break out my track saw.

Careful planning will help eliminate moving the fence (but I have not learned how to do that).:surprise:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Dave read Dan's post again and if you must then follow Al's advice. If you do that keep two things in mind. One is that you must feed past the router right to left. If you are on the front side of the saw that means reaching over and pulling the wood to you. If you are on the backside then you'll be reaching over it to finish the cut. Both are awkward so I would say at the very end is best so you don't have to reach over from either direction. Second and regarding the fence, a router bit is mostly behind the face of the fence on a router so you have to build out the face of the TS fence on the router side to accommodate that. You need to be able to do that so that it doesn't interfere with using the saw in between using the router.

·
Registered
21,686 Posts
The opening doesn't need to be centered on the wing. It could be located forward or back. Are you trying to use the TS fence as a fence for the router as well? On many saws the two tools can share a fence, however, a router fence is different, at the least because you want above the table dust extraction, so you'd have to add some method to do that, perhaps an add-on fence with a capture and dust extraction port.

I have a 12x24 shop, and I've chosen to have a separate table and prefer it. I have adjusted its height so it also serves as an infeed table for larger pieces on the TS. I've seen some designs for a fold-out router table attached to a wall. I think one factor is how many projects you are doing. If it's an occasional small project, then the router in the wing would likely work out OK, with an occasional "doggonit" situation. But if you are spending lots of time in your shop making things, then a separate table might be a better idea.

BTW, no one says you can't use your outfeed table for routing. My outfeed table is flat, built with trusses to stay that way, so it could seve as a workable router table. Lay in a couple of T Tracks so you can mount a fence on it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Hey, Dave; there's two schools of thought here on that. One (mine) says it doesn't belong on the TS as it ties up both the fence and the TS. You've just set up the router for a precise operation and you discover that you need to run a ply wood panel through the saw.
The other school can speak for themselves... >:)
agreed..
the real issue is needing the TS for cutting materials that is out of the realm of the track saw...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Therefore the 27” X 18” wing does not need to be limited to dead center in that wing.
put the router and fence as far away from the TS's blade as you can get..
have a second fence on hand...
but you will soon discover the TS/RT combo ends up still lacking..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Truth be known I do have a wonderful stand alone Router and Table that I have no intention of dismantling, a Bosch. The issue for me is even though I love the Bosch table and fence I really enjoy the dead square easy adjust table saw fence and often wanted two routers setup so I wouldn’t have to swap bits so much. My thinking is the table saw mounted setup would mostly be round over work for drawer and furniture pieces.

For the feeding direction mainly I will locate the router position closer to the saw blade allowing me to stand to the end of the table more often.

I already made the removable fence face and only need a dust collection hood. Remains to be seen if after setting this up if I can make it worth the effort.

Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.