Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bosch 1617 router mounted on a bosch ra 118o table what is the most practical way to attached the table switch cord to the router cord so it easy unattached when needed .router is also a plunge router . Thank you .. Don

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.Don

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
My table switch controls an outlet that the router plugs into. When I want to use the router freehand I just unplug it and take it out of the table. I keep the fixed base attached to the table and use the plunge base freehand.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey Don, welcome! I used to have the same set up, but with the RA 1181 table. I still have the 1617. I would think the table switch is similar, because it's pretty standard. You plug the router into an outlet on the backside of the switch and you plug the switch's power cord to the outlet. If you need the router away from the table, like to do plunge routing, you unplug it from the backside of the switch. But maybe i'm just confused about your question.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My Woodpecker table came with the switch & outlet installed like Oliver & Rob are talking about. Easy to unplug my PC and drop the router motor out. I have an extra base so that I do not have to uninstall the table base every time I want to use the router freehand.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
There are all kinds of switches that will work for you on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...s=safety+switch&sprefix=safety+switch,aps,201 I suggest you get one with a paddle to shut down. You can stop it hands free if you want.

Another option is a foot switch you press once for on, press again and it turns off. http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9089-Swi..._sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PFPYVGRRFD27K9FV7J5 No mounting problems with this type of switch, and this model has the power cord coming in from the side, which will help keep it out of your way. I have this switch and it is nice, and I think its safer for handling the router than having to take your hand off the router to turn it off when working freehand. You're generally supposed to let the router come to a stop before lifting or moving it, and taking one hand off to power down has cost me a blown groove or two.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to this forum. I also use use the foot switch. I found I needed to place where I have reach for it a bit to keep from turning it on accidentally. The foot switch is also very handy when used with a drill press.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts