Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have purchased a laminate covered MDF Router table top (800mm x 600mm), and mounted my Triton router.

Whatever posessed me, I put a spirit level across it, and found that it had an 18/1000" dip in the middle. (Measured by feeler gauges)

Is this an acceptable accuracy ?

Is it possible that the spirit level's accuracy might not be right?

Any other ideas how to measure the flatness of of the router table top?

Thanks in advance !

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If the level reached across the table and you were able to stick the feeler gauge under the level then you have a dip in it. You could probably level it out by putting a frame under the top if that's possible.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No, it is not acceptable. You will probably never notice it, but when you do a new speech pattern will emerge. There are also drop-in phenolic mounts that have a similar rise in the middle and it is a pain and very noticeable. If it cannot be easily fixed, then go measure another product of the same model and make sure you did not get the odd-bad one, if you can exchange it, then do so. If not then maybe an epoxy putty and a sander.

Good luck - Baker

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
If you can take it back, do so and take a good straight edge with you. I think most of the big outfits are pretty good about that. That is a lot of error when you're trying to do craftsman-like work. Someone suggested putting a frame under it to try to level it out, and if you can't return it, that is a possibility. You'll want to joint the frame and use lots of clamps to hold your top as flat as possible while you predrill for screws. This, of course will void any guarantee, so returning it is likely your very best bet.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Depends. Personally, I would have no problems with it.
Of course my standards are also a bit lower than a lot of people - but that makes life a bit easier.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just for reference, a 70s Powermatic model 66 table saw is spec for not more then .010 table flatness, even that seems abit too much to me.

Don
That just a little(couple of thousandths) over 1/128th of an inch.. this is wood we are working with, right?

0.018 is only a bit over 1/64th. Doubt it would be noticeable in too many cases!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, My thoughts would be yes and no.
I have an old contractors saw, that at times, the blade drifts out of true. Just the way this type of saw is made.
I can tell, by sound/ feel, and cut finish, when the blade drifts more then .005" out.
The top on this saw has about .012" warp. I think this small amount of warp causes a little bit of burning of the cut edge of the wood, more noticeable on Maple and Black Walnut.

My latest saw, has only .003" warp to the top. On this saw, there is no edge burning at all.
Using the same blade, and both having been tested true-"blade to the fence".
That said, there is a difference in weight of the saws, the contractor saw about 200lbs, the cabinet saw-1000lbs.
And, some other things like hp, arbor bearing size, and blade mount flange size.

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.