Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Sometimes. Any handy and clean rag. Anything that costs money is just a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Tack clothes are inexpensive and available where ever paint is sold. I reuse them a few times on small things then just buy more the next time I'm in a store that carries them.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I usually get mine from Lowes (closest place). They come two to a package. If the package stays sealed, they last years. If the package is opened, you might as well use both, because the second will be dry before you want to use it. I try to keep several packages of them in the paint cabinet, ready for use whenever needed. I have no idea what the exact design of them is, but appear to be cheese cloth with partially dry orange shellac on them.
They work, if fresh from the package.

Charley

·
Registered
129 Posts
Every place that sells paint seems to have a different brand/color of tack cloth. I have used sever different brands, especially just before varnishing, and they all seem to do the job. I worried about compatibility with different finishes but have not had a problem. They definitely do pick up the last little bits of dust.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I agree with Richard, tack rags are available at little cost at all paint stores and are ESSENTIAL for a perfect finish as they pick up all the fine sanding dust, I purchase whatever brand the store has and up to now have all been yellow but colour is immaterial.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Zip lock bag and use em til they're too yucky to touch anymore. I often take small work pieces outside and brush them off with a big, floppy walpaper paste brush to get most loose sawdust off and clean it out of crevices, rabbits, grooves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.