Thanks Theo.

·
Official Greeter
18,736 Posts
Really knows his metal....

·
Premium Member
19,009 Posts
He did have welding goggles on. Now that is a really efficient use of fuel. Good solution for a third world cooking problem.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You certain? Because I just watched the welding parts again, and I couldn't see any sign of goggles. But even if he did have goggles on, they would be for gas welding, and wouldn't be anywhere near adequate for arc welding.

Saw a lot of these in Vietnam and Thailand. They normally used a fan to heat up the fire. Charcoal fueled. Used outside, or under cover, never in the house. A little charcoal goes a long way in one of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I do too Gary, It is humorous how he has to put up with foot traffic through his work ares. at least he is wearing shoes. I didn't see him measure any of the curves,and the circles came out perfect. Thanks for posting Theo, very entertaining and educational.

Herb

·
Super Moderator
3,525 Posts
He did have welding goggles on. Now that is a really efficient use of fuel. Good solution for a third world cooking problem.
The first guy welding had what looked like really dark sunglasses. The second guy, the one doing the sheet metal work, didn't have anything on while he was welding.

David

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Isn't it amazing what can be done with so few crude tools and LOTS of experience. A really interesting video.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It is amazing how some cultures can squat like that for hours. Interesting video.
Edit- Reminds me of the saying- Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.
I worked in the lab and model shop of a local appliance manufacturer. I was amazed at the model maker. He would take a drawing, sheet metal, and make a part identical to the drawing. Paint or porcelain enamel and it was ready to go. He had a large block of tool steel on his workbench. I watched him use a hammer to shape square or rounded corners and show lots of patience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts