Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this aquarium stand upon a steel tube skeleton as a rush job for a local aquarium shop that was about to open. The results were dramatic for such a simple approach.

The top piece is actually a marine ply frame with door panels that hinge upward. Open either end door and a lip catches the center and opens it so that fish and corals can be fed. Major service work requires lifting off the entire assembly which sits on teak cleats that isolate the rest from direct water exposure.

The bottom is simpler. Door panels line front, back and sides. Each is easily removed. The idea here was that the stand might be used to demonstrate the filter systems to clients that wanted the store to setup and maintain marine aquariums in their homes and offices (the main income for this outfit still.)

The project was fun, but like all first forays, it taught me a lot and I would do things a bit differently if I had to do it over.

My pictures were taken in three sessions, as delivered (in both shots there really is an empty 75 gallon tank there), when first set up to season (just sand, rock and shortly some fish), and later with coral placed in the stable tank. There aren't any more shots. Some time after the last session the tank and all was delivered to a customer site.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Very expertly done microsuffer. Nice clear water too.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
What a great idea using the tube frame, a really first class job, you could easily make a business making these. I checked your profile to see your age, profession, first name etc, but was disappointed that no details were shown.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first shot was a surprise. I hadn't expected it to look as though the top was floating. The steel tube idea came from an expedient by the owner. He had built a number to use in setting up stock tanks. I convinced him that he needed to dress it up some if he wanted to appeal to high class clients.

Sorry Harry, I introduce slowly as I gain comfort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts