Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a table game board.Started with a veneered piece of plywood and
applied four coats of amber shellac,sanding between coats for a fairly smooth finish.
So far so good,then applied"Scotch brand Painters Tape" to outline the areas of play.
Then used acrylic craft paint for the various play areas,all went well till I removed the tape. The paint edges were crisp as advertised but the tape appears to have lifted the
finish of the shellac(no longer shiny). I coated a sample piece with shellac and painted stripes of the various colors of acrylic craft paint,after allowing it to dry gently wiped the entire surface with a cloth lightly coated with alcohol thinking a light french polish technique might restore the shellac's finish.Sadly the alcohol removes the acrylic paint as well ! I'm stuck for a solution and would appreciate any and all help....
Thanks in advance,
Don

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've been working on a table game board.Started with a veneered piece of plywood and
applied four coats of amber shellac,sanding between coats for a fairly smooth finish.
So far so good,then applied"Scotch brand Painters Tape" to outline the areas of play.
Then used acrylic craft paint for the various play areas,all went well till I removed the tape. The paint edges were crisp as advertised but the tape appears to have lifted the
finish of the shellac(no longer shiny). I coated a sample piece with shellac and painted stripes of the various colors of acrylic craft paint,after allowing it to dry gently wiped the entire surface with a cloth lightly coated with alcohol thinking a light french polish technique might restore the shellac's finish.Sadly the alcohol removes the acrylic paint as well ! I'm stuck for a solution and would appreciate any and all help....
Thanks in advance,
Don
Don

You can spray clear shellac over the board after your acrylic paint has dried.

Al

1 - 2 of 2 Posts