Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,912 Posts
It's got a few good ideas. But that first one where he's calibrating two tapes, and bends the hook. That's fine, and worked. However, six foot down the tape, the numbers may not match, tapes don't always. So, if you're working with a partner, I would say just one do the measuring, so it always comes out the same, or swap the tape measure back and forth.

Me, I've got tape measures, a variety of makes, all over the place, in my bathroom, bedroom, living room, every jacket, Jeep, shop, and I'll bet that few matchup. Which is OK, because mostly I just went to see just how long six inches is, or ten, or whatever. But when I'm in the shop, working on whatever project, I make sure to measure using the same tape for the entire job. That way all measurements match up.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
If I am using a tape to measure with I use the same tape on the entire project. This doesn't solve all the problems with tapes but it helps.

·
Registered
Paul
1,858 Posts
I'm scared to compare my tapes. ;)

I'm used to adjusting the hooks though. I have some Lufkins that have a guard around the hook, that helps keep the hook from getting bent when dropped.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Don't let the spring return snatch the tape back so fast/hard that the hook Hits the case.
It'll bend it and eventually break the tip/hook piece. It'll also elongate the hole that the rivet goes through ie deform the metal of the tape in the area of the rivet.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Some might remember my saga looking for a folding rule to replace my old Lufkin which was an eighth off... I had always used the same rule for measuring as for cutting until one day I had to buy another stair tread...��

Looked at many that had errors from the starting point while others had an error somewhere in the middle. Took a while but finally found a Westward at Grainger and a Klein.

My apologies for not remembering which member made the recommendation for the Westward...Daninvan or Cherryville ...other ?

Reactions: gacatron

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I try to not use a tape for other than gross measuring. Direct measurement, 123 blocks, keyway stock and story sticks are more accurate, IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts