Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One bit I don't have and need to get is a tapered ball nose. I plan to do some 3D carving soon and have some 1/8" and 1/4" ball nose bits but have been looking at 1/16" tapered ball nose bits.

Should I get 2, 3, or 4 flutes? I know stepover is the key on these and I'm certain I'll start out with conservative settings. As of right now I don't even have a project in mind so whatever I get will be like most bits in this area and I'll just make it work.

I don't want to spend $50 or more on this bit until I get comfortable with what I'll want. I know you get what you pay for but I've seen bits in the $20 range up to $35 and that's where I'd like to start. Probably 90% of what I cut will be Walnut, Maple, Cherry, etc.

Suggestions, please.

David

·
Registered
19 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
David, while the usual recommendation is 2 flute bits for most wood cutting, for the smaller tapered ball nose Ron Reed at PreciseBits recommends 3 flutes because the bits are quite a bit stronger, allowing a bit more aggressive feed rates. He has presented at our CNC User Group a couple of times, and is extremely knowledgeable. PreciseBits has some excellent tapered ball nose bits, and their shop is only two miles from where we usually meet. I also have and have used some of the import ones, and they are fine, but in my opinion, the PreciseBits ones cut a bit cleaner

For a project I am working on, I will shortly doing be some side by side testing, same design, same wood, different bits, so I hope to have a little more evidence as to whether my opinion can be substantiated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm certainly looking forward to that, Richard. I ordered the 0.5mm and 1.0mm Jerray bits to get started and will just go from there.

I did see a Yonico 4 flute bit at 1/16" and it looks pretty good at $24.95. Also saw an Amana in the same specs as the Yonico but it was $46.50 and I didn't want to spend that much right out of the gate.

Looks like I need to get a file ready, the bits will be here tomorrow! :grin:

David

·
Registered
19 Posts
So what bit do you use to cut the mirror circles with? Pcd Diamond?
This mirror is 5" that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. Not too bad for 2/$2.99. The quality is not the best. Edges are not polished, etc. I tried blacking out the edges, but it didn't help much. I looked at Amazon, but they all look the same quality from China. I'm waiting on a local glass place on a quote for a nicer mirror. If I'm going to put in the effort to these, I'd rather not use a cheap mirror. I give them away for gifts, and they are pretty popular.

·
Registered
413 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.