Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've made a kinda of planing jig to cut the center out of the board. Attached is a board i did to test it out. My lines are not equal and I did the inside edges pretty much by hand. I don't have a router table and I'm looking for a way to make equal depth and edges for some more serving boards. I have a fixed base Skil Router. Any and all advice would help! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
So I've made a kinda of planing jig to cut the center out of the board. Attached is a board i did to test it out. My lines are not equal and I did the inside edges pretty much by hand. I don't have a router table and I'm looking for a way to make equal depth and edges for some more serving boards. I have a fixed base Skil Router. Any and all advice would help! Thanks in advance.
Sure looks like you did a nice job on that. Most of the bowl type cutting boards I have done I did the inside first and then trimmed the out side afterwards, that way you are sure to get the same margins all way around.
On your pattern you could even up the sides on the tablesaw and the curved ends on the band saw. Another possibility is ,if one of the edges is too narrow, consider trimming the opposite side to match and gluing a contrasting piece of wood on the two opposing edges and recutting them the same width.
If you use a template around the outside it will help keep the edges equal. Hope this helps.

Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@SapperJwn

Can't tell if the depth is equal from the photos but I kinda like the fact the edges aren't equal - adds charm.

Anyway, you're probably looking for router skis. The experts will be around shortly.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
99% of the times you are the only one who knows that the project isn't exactly what you envisioned. I think you made a nice project there!.

If you want perfection, you'll need a template of some sort. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as fancy as this video, but it might spark an idea.

130 - Halloween Router Bowl - The Wood Whisperer

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
@SapperJwn

Can't tell if the depth is equal from the photos but I kinda like the fact the edges aren't equal - adds charm.

Anyway, you're probably looking for router skis. The experts will be around shortly.

+1 for the router skis...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SapperJwn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thanks for all the responses! Some pretty good info for the brain housing group. I want to take some pictures of the jig i built to show you folks how i did it. I appreciate all the feedback and i'll try to get a couple pictures or video out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts