Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All

I am in the process of trying to make template form MDF to use for making a bowl with my router. I have cut the template out with the jig saw. My problem is, although I was very careful, the edge is not quite without a few little bumps....I have tried to sand them down, but need to be careful not to make it worse.

Does anyone have a good method to put the finishing touches on a handmade template?

Thanks in advance for your help
Deborah

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Is the bowl round ? If so I would have used a circle jig attached to the base of the router for a perfect circle.
I suspect the experts here know how to do an elongated jig if it's not a round bowl

·
Official Greeter
18,734 Posts
Hi Deborah, unless you have a circle jig, as suggested by Rick, all I can see is lots of careful sanding.

There are some on the forum that have made many jigs, they may offer an easier solution.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Deb here's a pic I found when I made an MDF jig with my circle cutter . It was very accurate and I used it for making plexi rings for speakers

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Sanding is probably your best bet. I have also had good success sealing MDF edges with wood glue. Just apply it with your fingers let it dry and sand it. You can build up multiple layers and get a very smooth edge. That won't help major divots but may take care of minor ones.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Sanding is probably your best bet. I have also had good success sealing MDF edges with wood glue. Just apply it with your fingers let it dry and sand it. You can build up multiple layers and get a very smooth edge. That won't help major divots but may take care of minor ones.
That reminds me of something , I used to repair mistakes with bondo sometimes .
That stuff they use on cars for repairing dents (I think she's a girl?)

·
Registered
263 Posts
In general, remember that mdf is formed between rollers, which means that the surfaces are slightly more dense than the middle. If you make templates, they will last longer if you lacquer them heavily, so that the edges soak up the lacquer and are strengthened by it when it dries. As for sanding bumps to perfect your circles, why not make a former with a radius about 2mm bigger than your circle, glue a sanding sheet inside it and sand that way, it is bound to follow the curves and find the high spots only.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Deborah

I use a half-round 2nd-cut file to get rid of the bumps and dips in my MDF templates. The trick is to draw file instead of the usual cross filing. I use the flat face for convex curves and the round face for concave curves. The is nothing to beat this approach.

Denis Lock - "Routing with Denis"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts