Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I am a new member and just bought a PC 893 kit with both fixed and plunge bases. I bought a piece of melamine to build a router table and got the plate from Rockler. I also bought Rockler's template guide set. When I started to make my pattern for the plate cutout, I really looked at the guides for the first time. The barrel on (most) of the guides is too long for my preferred pattern material. So I returned the set to Rockler.
SO, my question:
Is there a template guide set availabel that has 1/4" barrels (for tempered hardboard or quarter ply)?
Or, should I just plan on making all my patterns out of thicker material?
Or, Is there an easy way to cut the long templates to the depth I would like.
I could almost imagine cutting the brass on a wood lathe with a parting tool, but thats probably not a good idea.

Thanks for any and all tips

Tony

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
ttait said:
Hello all

I am a new member and just bought a PC 893 kit with both fixed and plunge bases. I bought a piece of melamine to build a router table and got the plate from Rockler. I also bought Rockler's template guide set. When I started to make my pattern for the plate cutout, I really looked at the guides for the first time. The barrel on (most) of the guides is too long for my preferred pattern material. So I returned the set to Rockler.
SO, my question:
Is there a template guide set availabel that has 1/4" barrels (for tempered hardboard or quarter ply)?
Or, should I just plan on making all my patterns out of thicker material?
Or, Is there an easy way to cut the long templates to the depth I would like.
I could almost imagine cutting the brass on a wood lathe with a parting tool, but thats probably not a good idea.

Thanks for any and all tips

Tony
YES you can get them with at a lot of on-line stores, look for ones with a barrel of .234 (I don't remember the actual number but it will be about this).

There are a couple of active links on this general subject:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=163&page=1&pp=10
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=147
You might want to check them out.

Ed

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
You can make your patterns taller by adding strips underneath them, which also has the advantage of preventing the cuttings from building up along your templates.

I like using thicker stock for some templates, because it holds up better over time, but it can be a pain to use. My router compass, for example, is 1/2 in poplar. It has been used a lot, and all the holes are still perfect.

If your brass template guides are just a hair too long, a quick pass on the sander or a file will take the extra length off in a hurry, just make sure you don't use that sanding belt/disc for anything else. Make sure you put a chamfer on it after you finish, so you make sure that the burr left over from machining doesn't change the diameter of your guide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts