Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made small router templates in the past out of 1/4" tempered hard board (Masonite). I looked for a larger 2' X 4' pc at Lowes this morning only to find out they don't have any Masonite.

Has anyone used any alternative material for templates? 1/4" Birch plywood?

Thanks in advance

--Dave

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've seen tempered hardboard (masonite is a brand name) at both lowes & home depot. Many people also use baltic birch plywood,in a pinch you can use whatever you have available.

regards
jerry

·
Registered
137 Posts
CCRT said:
I've made small router templates in the past out of 1/4" tempered hard board (Masonite). I looked for a larger 2' X 4' pc at Lowes this morning only to find out they don't have any Masonite.

Thanks in advance

--Dave
Hi Dave,

I've used just about anything I had as scrap to make templates. Anything from 1/4" to 3/4" works fine. Masonite or plywood, they both work fine. Just select the type of bit to fit the situation. Pattern bits vs. Flush Trim bits. The best advice I can offer is that you make sure your template is sanded smoothly with no irragularities because they will show through on your completed project and use a good quality double sided sticky tape to make sure nothing moves during the cutting process. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use 1/4" or 5/16" MDF for all templates I make.
It has the advantage of being able to be filed smooth to ensure a good finish when you route the workpiece.

·
Banned
666 Posts
CCRT said:

Thanks in advance

--Dave
The majority of my templates are made from 12mm MDF and if I have the material handy I usually laminate both sides. I also use 9mm MDF laminated anything less than 9mm will cause problems with the depth of my template guide. Keeping in mind I use the template guides regularly
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think 1/4" plywood works fine. I recently used a 1/4" plywood template to route 100 toy swords. Still got the template without any gouges or anything.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Another possibility is using 1/4" Plexiglas. It does have the added advantage of being clear, and for some jigs that is a real plus.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Did you notice Levon that you answered a 2005 post! Hopefully by now that member is a fully fledged routologist!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
lol, im not sure where i got that one from. guess the mind is going now, the eyes and steady hands just led the way lol.

im glad you brought that up, at least i had a laugh, even if it was at myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It has the advantage of being able to be filed smooth to ensure a good finish when you route the workpiece.
I've used 1/4 MDF for templates and found when routing Hardwood (Aussie Jarrah) the edge of the template mushroomed over and began developing "potholes" causing my work to end up rough and not quite the right shape. I know I will avoid using MDF in the future. Perhaps just one cut would be OK but multiple cuts I would not recomend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
5/16" mdf

Dewy where do you find your 5/16" mdf? I made some templates with replaceable parts out of some 5/16" mdf I received as crate material from some new tools. At the time I assume buying more 5/16 mdf would be easy but I was wrong. I can't find it anywhere. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts