Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at posting pictures so hopefully it works out well. Anyway, when I'm not woodworking for fun, my real job is at a custom woodturning shop where I supervise the milling department. We had a job come through there this week that I thought you might find interesting. We turned eight ten foot long bats. The crazy thing about it is they are destined to be the fuel at someones' bonfire. We do some of these each spring around the start of the regular baseball season. It seems like a waste, but what else are you going to do with a ten foot baseball bat? Since these are going to be burned, we make them out of whatever "garbage" wood we may have around the shop. This year that happened to be primarily black walnut that had too much sapwood for our normal turnings. Some people call it calico walnut because of the contrasting light and dark colors. This sounds like a waste I know, but this was lumber that had accumulated for several years because it was unusable. We also did a couple bats out of knotty pine and white oak that also had too much sapwood. Anyway, here's the pics. Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Very interesting Tim--if you get anymore of the sap wood, just send it my way I like the contrast of the two shades. Besides, I am so inexperienced with all this most of what I do is a waste so why not waste some good stuff along with the bad.

I see that you are in Minnesota so a little far to go and pick up some scraps--too bad.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Those are quite some bats. It's too bad they won't be kept around for some other uses.
Thanks for showing them to us.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tim,

Those are very nice looking bats. Too bad they're going to be burned. I'm in Rogers, Mn. Where abouts in Minnesota is your shop?

Eric

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys and thanks for the coments. Jerry I'm sure most of what you do isn't a waste. We tend to be our own worst critics. Even if things don't turn out quite the way we wanted, it's still fun trying. I don't know what it would cost to send wood to Georgia, but I'm sure I could. We generally only have small scraps of rejected lumber though. Nothing on the scale of what went into these bats. Eric, the shop is located in Brooten kind of in the Willmar and Alexandria area. Unfortunately it's not my shop, but Iv'e worked there for over 10 years now. Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
10 ft Baseball bats

Hi everyone. This is my first attempt at posting pictures so hopefully it works out well. Anyway, when I'm not woodworking for fun, my real job is at a custom woodturning shop where I supervise the milling department.

Hi, this is Coburn. I may need two 10 ft baseball bats for a baseball theme trade show display I'm in process of bidding. How much would you (wood you?) charge for a 10 ft bat? Couldn't open your pics since I'm on Macintosh computer and need jpegs. thanx Coburn

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tim,
Interesting turnings, for sure. From the replies, it sounds like you could go into production on the large bats. BTW, burning walnut in MN is illegal..............

just kidding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts