1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tool: Drillnado
Reviewer:KP91
Tool Rating: 8

For Father's day my family purchased the 'Drillnado' DRILLNADO | Revolutionary Drill Press Dust Collection for me. Last week I was given the perfect project to test it out. For our upcoming Vacation Bible School we needed 40 sheep pull toys for a craft project. This required me to cut out 40 sheep out of 3/4 inch pine and poplar, and make all the necessary wheels out of 1-1/4 dowels. The sheer number of holes drilled was more than a test for this device.

My initial impressions during installation were pretty good. The head unit is solid and heavy, and has an ingenious system of interlocking bushings to accommodate a wide variety of drill press quill diameters. The bellows assembly looks like it will provide ample life, but it is a little thin. Fortunately it is available as a spare part, as you can cut the bottom end to accommodate larger bits.

To give you an idea of the effectiveness of the unit, the picture of the assembled unit below is after drilling up to 9/32 axle holes in the large stack of blanks, using 3 different steps. The only dust that escaped was the occasional chip that came off as I started a new hole.

When I was drilling the wheels, a little more dust remained because I had to leave room for my fingers under the bellows.

The negative sides of the unit so far are few, and not much of a deal compared to how well this thing catches the dust. The first is noise. Not only do you have the shop vac noise, but the sound of the air flowing through this nozzle can be very loud depending on how big a bit you have in it. You will definitely need hearing protection. The second (and I should be fixing this shortly) is the unit blocks part of the keyless chuck on my drill press, requireing me to use Channellock pliers to hold the chuck when tightening. I am going to add a spacer under the Drillnado head piece to give me a little clearance back. The maker supplies a heavy tape to go under the clamping area of the head piece, but I didn't install it.

In all, I think my wife paid $40 for it, and it was definitely worth it for all the holes I had to drill on this project. I can't wait to see what it does with forstner bits.

All the sheep bodies were cut on the scroll saw. I first cut a couple of different patterns out of 1/4 ply, and had my "assistant" trace them out on the boards for me to cut. The dowels were sliced on the band saw, and I used a 'V' jig to drill the pilot holes in the center without having to lay out each one. It is amazing how out-of-round the store bought dowels were, but the sheep have a fun wobbling motion.

The sheep will have a eye glued on, and then be decorated with cotton balls or paint.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,160 Posts
Interesting Doug. Great job on the sheep.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice. How did you cut the dowels so smoothly?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Doug, I saw this demonstrated at the Wood Show in Detroit 2015. It's very impressive! He was using a forstner bit and it collected all the chips. I can see how it could be very noisy producing a shrilling sound as the air rushes through the accordion type bellows. I didn't think of it at the time, but his was quiet (only the sound of the airflow). You might try to contact the manufacturer to learn his trick. Overall I was quite impressed.

·
Registered
17,392 Posts
An overhead vacuum system for a drill press , I didn't know there was such a thing ?
I didn't read into well enough and wondering what the heck that was lol

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
It's a nice idea but I use too many hole saws and large Forstner bits to make it worth my while. I guess I will stick with my home built dust collection fence; it works pretty well.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update...

At the DC woodworking show they were showing off the updated Drillnado. They changed the material for the bellows to a more robust plastic, and added a clear extension on the bottom that lets you see the bit contact the wood and seems to help with the airflow around the bit.

They haven't updated the website yet, but it looks like it is a decent improvement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts