Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not talking custom bit makers (if there are any) I am talking about common bits known to most wood workers. I have been using White Side bits and really like them. I have heard Freud makes really good bits but so far I don't have any. I would like your opinion from your experience.

Thanks Don!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
been using Freud for years and years..
superb CS...
long lasting and can handle some abuse...
out of the box Whiteside has the edge/lead but the Freud will outlast the WS by far... (as in LF)...
zero complaints..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been using Freud for years and years..
superb CS...
long lasting and can handle some abuse...
out of the box Whiteside has the edge/lead but the Freud will outlast the WS by far... (as in LF)...
zero complaints..
Stick do you know why Freud will out last WS? May better carbide I am just guessing.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Freud for general use bits. Fairly easy to find and priced OK. I have Sommerfeld matched bit sets for doors and cabinets.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Freud for general use bits. Fairly easy to find and priced OK. I have Sommerfeld matched bit sets for doors and cabinets.
grade of carbide for sure...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
go w/ Freud across the board..
their match sets are outstanding and then some...
Freuds is way more industrial use than occasional use..
occasional use will get you years of use from one bit...

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
964 Posts
Freud = quality, availability price is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. They have so many profiles you are almost sure to find what you need. I have a Freud catalogue and if I see something I need, almost any big box or hardware store can order it for me. I also like the Freud saw blades including the dado set.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I agree that you get what you pay for but only up to a point. Router bits are expendables. A cheap bit from MLCS will last me a lifetime unless its a bit that is used all the time like say a cove bit. If I need a special profile and can get it from MLCS for $15 dollars or a brand name for $40 dollars Ill get the $15 dollar one. I use it two or three times and never touch it again. It may not last a life time if used every day but if used 3 times it will last as long as the Sphinx. As far as the cut quality goes I've never noticed a difference. So I would say only buy expensive bits if you plan on using them on a daily basis. The complete opposite goes for tools. If you need a tool (and you're young) then but the best. If you need to do a job buy the tool to do it and don't try to get away with using another tool to do the job. If you're making mortises spend $300 on a mortising machine (or $150 on a good used one)instead of trying to do it with a drill press or router. You'll always have a good tool and when its time to sell you'll take less of a hit.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Freud = quality, availability price is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. They have so many profiles you are almost sure to find what you need. I have a Freud catalogue and if I see something I need, almost any big box or hardware store can order it for me. I also like the Freud saw blades including the dado set.
and then there is their Quadracut bits... nothing like them...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
A cheap bit from MLCS will last me a lifetime unless its a bit that is used all the time like say a cove bit. If I need a special profile and can get it from MLCS for $15 dollars or a brand name for $40 dollars Ill get the $15 dollar one..
tried them...
VOE says that their balance isn't all that great...
the brazing is subpar...
found that to be the norm w/ Asian bits...
3rd or 4th bit the brazing failed and the cutter hit me the ear....
the trip the ER sure made that on very expensive bit...

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Freud, Whiteside, and Sommerfeld are the best that I've used, but all are high priced. I've bought several sets of Woodline bits very reasonably priced, but with my experience, almost as good as the high priced sources. I was surprised at how well they cut for the price and will buy more.

Charley

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Freud, Whiteside, and Sommerfeld are the best that I've used, but all are high priced. I've bought several sets of Woodline bits very reasonably priced, but with my experience, almost as good as the high priced sources. I was surprised at how well they cut for the price and will buy more.

Charley
Charley I found out they (Woodline) are here in Tennessee. A town called Old Hickory. I used to live about 3 or 4 miles from them now it's about 30 miles. Don't know if they have a store front or not.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not talking custom bit makers (if there are any) I am talking about common bits known to most wood workers. I have been using White Side bits and really like them. I have heard Freud makes really good bits but so far I don't have any. I would like your opinion from your experience.

Thanks Don!
The best and cheapest router bits you can get at www.banggood.com. In fact I buy all my tools at banggood.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Any reason Amana isn't mentioned here?
....jus curious.
Amana Israel are very good bits but very pricey...
Amana China are junk and cost the same as Amana Israel...
not many vendors...
their CS leaves something to be desired...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have quite a few Amana bits. Some are made in China I think and aren't as good as the others or as expensive. The ones made in Israel are good. The logos on the bits are different depending on where they are made. If you saw them side by side you'd instinctively know the difference.

BJ used to say that Yonico bits were good for the money. I have a few that I bought for a project that I haven't gotten around to yet but they look like quality bits. The carbide is thick and well sharpened and the finish is good on them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Amana Israel are very good bits but very pricey...
Amana China are junk and cost the same as Amana Israel...
not many vendors...
their CS leaves something to be desired...
I haven't compared online Amana bits to local prices. We have a tool store that sells Amana. I always thought they were top end. Yes, locally they are pricey. For kicks I'm gonna try out an Exchange-a-Blade bit to test my new router lift. Not sure what to buy yet, but thinking maybe a slot cutter for wood or laminate flooring or maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 inch bit for truing up edges. I gotta learn with something. I'm thinkin cheap to start. Those bits are in the $20 range I think.
https://www.exchangeablade.com/products/18/Router_Bits/

I have quite a few Amana bits. Some are made in China I think and aren't as good as the others or as expensive. The ones made in Israel are good. The logos on the bits are different depending on where they are made. If you saw them side by side you'd instinctively know the difference.

BJ used to say that Yonico bits were good for the money. I have a few that I bought for a project that I haven't gotten around to yet but they look like quality bits. The carbide is thick and well sharpened and the finish is good on them.
That's good to know about the Amana stuff.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I haven't compared online Amana bits to local prices. We have a tool store that sells Amana. I always thought they were top end. Yes, locally they are pricey. For kicks I'm gonna try out an Exchange-a-Blade bit to test my new router lift. Not sure what to buy yet, but thinking maybe a slot cutter for wood or laminate flooring or maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 inch bit for truing up edges. I gotta learn with something. I'm thinkin cheap to start. Those bits are in the $20 range I think.
https://www.exchangeablade.com/products/18/Router_Bits/
look to Freud and Whiteside..
what I had to say about Ana is from VOE and using them in production...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not doubting anything you guys recommend.
I figure learning to play with this new tool, no need to start with the best stuff. I can learn to appreciate the better brands after learning with the cheap stuff first........ especially to find out which bits I might actually have a use for.
Have you tried an Exchange-a-Blade before? I've purchased a few of their saw blades and thought they were pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts