Router Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Peter just be careful, going by your last photo under the saw it appears you have no arbor washer on the outside of the blade. This is bad since the nut can crack the blade when done up with out the face arbor to spread the load
Thank you. Could you kindly point that out to me in the picture.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Peter just be careful, going by your last photo under the saw it appears you have no arbor washer on the outside of the blade. This is bad since the nut can crack the blade when done up with out the face arbor to spread the load
I took a look at the pictures that I attached in an earlier post. I have included one here. I am guessing that the arbor washer sits against the blade before the bolt, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I took a look at the pictures that I attached in an earlier post. I have included one here. I am guessing that the arbor washer sits against the blade before the bolt, correct?
it sets under the nut and against the blade
there should be a washer on both sides of the blade...

Reactions: Danman1957

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I have a question about the ruler that runs along the fence track (for lack of a better term) If I line up the fence at "0" inches look at how far the fence is from the blade. Am I missing something. Has the fence guide been improperly installed as well.

Looking at the earlier pictures of the saw it looks like the rail is installed one bolt hole to the right from where it should be...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Peter, Your saw appears to be a 'Right Tilt" saw. If standing on the operator side (front), when tilted to 45 degrees... the blade tilts to the right. The fence on a right tilt saw should be positioned to the left of the blade. With the blade angle set at "0" (90 degrees) the scale should show the distance from the fence to the closest side of the tooth on blade. You can purchase stick on scales in either right or left reading scales if replacements are needed. Before considering scale replacements you need to learn how to tune your saw. Tuning your saw takes some time... but don't overlook it. Tuning the saw will remove the most prevalent hazards that can cause serious accidents.

Carey spotted the missing arbor washer... it needs to be replaced before running the saw with the blade installed. Safety issue!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Peter, Your saw appears to be a 'Right Tilt" saw. If standing on the operator side (front), when tilted to 45 degrees... the blade tilts to the right. The fence on a right tilt saw should be positioned to the left of the blade. With the blade angle set at "0" (90 degrees) the scale should show the distance from the fence to the closest side of the tooth on blade. You can purchase stick on scales in either right or left reading scales if replacements are needed. Before considering scale replacements you need to learn how to tune your saw. Tuning your saw takes some time... but don't overlook it. Tuning the saw will remove the most prevalent hazards that can cause serious accidents.

Carey spotted the missing arbor washer... it needs to be replaced before running the saw with the blade installed. Safety issue!
Indeed it is a right tilt. Do you have any suggestions as to where I might purchase the missing arbor washer. Thank you

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I tried my best to get a better shot of the motor and how the blade is being held in place. There appears to be a washer on the inside of the shaft as well as another just before the bolt. I have also included what appears to be the arbor washer from the PDF documentation that I found online. Looks like it may be number 175 on the diagram part #1345733.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Peter...that washer is just a plain ole galvanized washer...I would suggest not using it...

Chances are that any washer from just about any saw will do...the washer is hardened and bigger in outside diameter than what you have now. The arbor shaft is 5/8" and any arbor washer should do. As you might know, the blade is held onto the shaft by pressure/friction being sandwiched by the washers/arbor on both sides. They are made/machined to hold and not allow slipping. It would be dangerous to use it as is...

I checked for that washer for your saw and it appears it is OBSOLETE; No Replacement (Tool Parts Direct). eReplacementparts.com does not have it either.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Peter...that washer is just a plain ole galvanized washer...I would suggest not using it...

Chances are that any washer from just about any saw will do...the washer is hardened and bigger in outside diameter than what you have now. The arbor shaft is 5/8" and any arbor washer should do. As you might know, the blade is held onto the shaft by pressure/friction being sandwiched by the washers/arbor on both sides. They are made/machined to hold and not allow slipping. It would be dangerous to use it as is...

I checked for that washer for your saw and it appears it is OBSOLETE; No Replacement (Tool Parts Direct). eReplacementparts.com does not have it either.
Hello Nick. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to seek out that part for me. Apparently, there are washers that fasten clockwise or counter clockwise. Something else to look out for I suppose.

My search took me here:

https://www.mikestools.com/36-659-Delta-Arbor-Nut-Assembly-Rt-Tilt-Table-Saws.aspx

Which led me to the item that is pictured as an attachment. No such luck unfortunately! I wonder if an arbor washer from another manufacturer might do DeWalt, Ryobi, Ridgid, etc. Perhaps, I can try the big box stores. Pretty frustrating trying to find parts for these vintage units

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is what you are looking for...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Hello Nick. I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to seek out that part for me. Apparently, there are washers that fasten clockwise or counter clockwise. Something else to look out for I suppose.

My search took me here:

https://www.mikestools.com/36-659-Delta-Arbor-Nut-Assembly-Rt-Tilt-Table-Saws.aspx

Which led me to the item that is pictured as an attachment. No such luck unfortunately! I wonder if an arbor washer from another manufacturer might do DeWalt, Ryobi, Ridgid, etc. Perhaps, I can try the big box stores. Pretty frustrating trying to find parts for these vintage units

Yes...you would need a left thread or counter-clockwise to tighten. With the motor to the right of the blade (looking from operator position) it is required to spin clockwise in order to have the blade spin towards you (above the table). A left thread will tighten at startup and under load as opposed to right thread (clockwise) which would loosen at start and load...

The proper washer is machined such that the entire washer (save for a slight galley somewhere in its face) will mate with the blade. That galvanized washer you now have is stamped (most likely) and not likely flat enough to mate properly with the blade.

When the motor stops the blade will want to continue spinning and since there is no load created by the motor to the nut, the blade would try to spin the left-thread nut off...OUCH...! ! So it's important to get the right nut/washer on there...

Reactions: peterbata

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: peterbata

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The dark washer is what the part number refers to...it is a washer whose diameter matches the arbor. It is intended to be used with a separate nut.

If you look closely, the dark washer is convex to the center...the separate nut will tighten it against the blade.
So, is this what I should be using / ordering then?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
So, is this what I should be using / ordering then?

Yes...but you need to make sure the outside washer you order is the same outside diameter as the inside washer or arbor face. The two should be the same diameter so there's equal pressure on both sides of the blade.

While you're in there, make sure the nut you have is the one that belongs on the saw and not just a cheapie hardware store nut...just in case the previous owner didn't just cobble it together for the sale...

Reactions: gmercer_48083

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yes...but you need to make sure the outside washer you order is the same outside diameter as the inside washer or arbor face. The two should be the same diameter so there's equal pressure on both sides of the blade.

While you're in there, make sure the nut you have is the one that belongs on the saw and not just a cheapie hardware store nut...just in case the previous owner didn't just cobble it together for the sale...
Well, it starting to look and sound like a Frankenstein horror movie. All kidding aside, I would like to get this old battle axe up and running. I have a few small cuts that need to be done and then that may be it until next spring. We'll. I will definitely give some thought into buying new in the future, if need be. Thanks again for all the help and great advice. Much appreciated. Nick.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Peter and others that have commented; is it normal that the saw has Delta name on the front and the parts list is Rockwell ??? could this be like Peter said '' a Frankenstein '' saw ?

For the washer Peter there are several places in Laval that repair power tools, I am sure they will have something in stock.
I think that for the price you did well and this saw can be brought back to a good standard of operation and you will get good use from it.

If you need any help just give me a call but please do it soon. I will be starting the fall sessions of my woodworking classes on the 17th. Demand was so strong that I must give 2 classes one 9AM til noon and one 1PM til 4PM.
BTW, that saw sure looks direct drive to me ! My King is also direct drive and I love it.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Peter and others that have commented; is it normal that the saw has Delta name on the front and the parts list is Rockwell ??? could this be like Peter said '' a Frankenstein '' saw ?

For the washer Peter there are several places in Laval that repair power tools, I am sure they will have something in stock.
I think that for the price you did well and this saw can be brought back to a good standard of operation and you will get good use from it.

If you need any help just give me a call but please do it soon. I will be starting the fall sessions of my woodworking classes on the 17th. Demand was so strong that I must give 2 classes one 9AM til noon and one 1PM til 4PM.
BTW, that saw sure looks direct drive to me ! My King is also direct drive and I love it.

Cheers,
Dan
Thank you so much Dan. I wish your classes were held closer to the city. I would surely benefit from your years of expertise. And, thanks again for the offer to assist me over the phone. You're a gentleman and a scholar!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts